Pond Boss
Posted By: HenryCountyAL New to Pond Boss and A 1/3 acre Pond - 07/12/18 11:39 PM
Hey guys, happy to be a new Pond Boss member! Just had my pond finished 3 weeks ago and I'm waiting on the water to clear some. This southeast alabama clay sure makes it tough after a rain. I have centipede and brown top millet getting established for now, will try some decorative stuff later. Has anyone on here ever tried the pond clear products? I have put some pond water in a quart mason jar and it hasn't changed much in 48 hours. I've heard good things about the Pond Clear product, just wanted to see what y'all thought
Posted By: anthropic Re: New to Pond Boss and A 1/3 acre Pond - 07/13/18 03:02 AM
Might want to give it a few more weeks before using a chemical treatment to clear the water. Mine had suspended clay and didn't clear for several months, but did eventually on its own.
Thanks for the reply Anthropic. Its trying to clear some now with no rain for a week or so, but patience isn't my strongest trait.
Posted By: Dam'dWaters Re: New to Pond Boss and A 1/3 acre Pond - 07/13/18 03:09 PM
Welcome HenryCounty - post some pics of your new pond. I agree with anthropic .... give it some time first. A lot of us get in trouble trying to "help" nature and often get the unintended consequence of money wasted. smile
Originally Posted By: Dam'dWaters
Welcome HenryCounty - post some pics of your new pond. I agree with anthropic .... give it some time first. A lot of us get in trouble trying to "help" nature and often get the unintended consequence of money wasted. smile

AMEN
I will try to post pics sometime this weekend, if i can figure out how to.
This is the pond about a week before it was completed. I haven't taken any pictures since the roots and trees were cleared but will try too soon. It was full 4 days after the hole was dug.

Attached picture 0607181644a-1.jpg
Attached picture 0607181641a-1.jpg
Attached picture 0607181641-1.jpg
I went this morning to fertilize the banks and the water seems to be slightly more clear. But of course, more rain is coming today. Will getting vegetation established help a lot with the muddiness? Also, I'm planning on stocking CNBG in the fall, then a hand full of LMB and CC in the spring...I feel that's a decent mix for the southeast region.
Posted By: anthropic Re: New to Pond Boss and A 1/3 acre Pond - 07/14/18 06:59 PM
Erosion is your enemy, both in terms of visibility & eutrophication. Try to get something growing on the banks as soon as you can.
I planted the brown top millet and centipede seeds 2 weeks ago. Millet is looking good, can't tell much about the centipede yet.
Posted By: CMM Re: New to Pond Boss and A 1/3 acre Pond - 07/14/18 08:56 PM
It looks like you have a nice setting for a pond! Take care of it now and in no time, you will be reaping the rewards and making memories.

Will your CNBG have plenty of spawning time before you add the LM and CC? I did spring FH and BG then fall LM in the same year and I wish I had waited a full year before stocking the LM so the BG had more time to recruit. I'm no expert, just sharing something I did that, in hindsight, I sure wish I had been more patient.
That's a good point to think about. I went to a pond management class that Auburn University puts on...they claim to stock your bluegill in Oct and bass/catfish the following June works out well. But, they were also talking about larger ponds so idk. I will definitely be thinking about that CMM.
© Pond Boss Forum