Pond Boss
Posted By: KDR New member. - 05/06/18 02:36 AM

Hello every one, I hope i am doing this right but anyway, I live in the Piedmont of NC. I just hit top pool on a new 1.5 ach, 14' deep end 2ft shallow end pond three weeks ago, built in clay. I stocked the following 150=5" F1 Bass, 1200 3" to 5"=Bluegill (coppernose), 300 3 to 5" = Shellcrackers, 150 3 to 6" channel Cats and 10pounds of flat head minnows two weeks ago.The clarity just hit 10 inch this week and i put 5 pounds of 12-48-8 perfect pond plus(Fertillize) in yesterday and this morning i am seeing a 3 foot band of green looking mossie lookng stuff about 5feet from bank all around pond is this the algee bloom? Also do you Gents/Ladys think the Stocking amount was correct?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: New member. - 05/06/18 11:50 AM
Welcome to PBF KDR!

Stocking a new pond is always an exciting time! Can you post a closeup picture of some of the "green looking mossie stuff?". It will be needed to get a positive ID.

Will you be feeding the fish? Aeration?

Looking forward to hearing more about your project.

Bill D.
Posted By: KDR Re: New member. - 05/06/18 12:16 PM
Thanks for replying back, yep I am feeding now, a small amount, seams like the cats and flat head minnows are only thing eating thou, I will get a pic of it. I am fired up about the pond, my wife said she is going to board up the windows if I don,t stop looking out at it all the time lol. Not aerating, would like to, but kind of out of budge right now. Had water tested and a little low on ph, 6.4 now, saving up for lime,where I had it test they said I need 4 tons, that sound high, also hardness on the soft side. He said pond is fine like it is, but if I wanted to get to perfect condition I need lime, sorry for being long winded, but don’t have anyone else to talk pond with lol. Thanks again for replying back!!!
Posted By: TGW1 Re: New member. - 05/06/18 12:20 PM
Welcome to the forum. This the best place with the best people when it comes to ponds and etc. I can not make stocking comments when speaking about how many or what to stock in Nc. But someone will be along to help you out I am pretty sure of that, but in the meantime click on the forum list for pond stocking, creating a food chain, etc. Lots and Lots of good info there. I would also recommend getting a subscription to the PB Magazine. Again Welcome
© Pond Boss Forum