Pond Boss
Posted By: Haboola New guy here.. - 03/30/17 04:42 PM
Hello all, I live in meeker, ok. My wife and I purchased a home in june of 2016 on 7 acres and we have 2 very small ponds on the property. Since we purchased the place the front pond had done nothing but moss over and drain. I would like to make it a little bit bigger and deeper to have a few bass and bluegill. My number one obstacle with my pond is trying to do this on a somewhat of a budget. I will upload two pictures of my pond, one before and one after we had 2.5 inches of rain. I am looking forward to getting some information from you all.

Attached picture IMG_10161.jpg
Attached picture 20170328_193650~2.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: New guy here.. - 03/30/17 04:49 PM
You have come to the right place, welcome! You will want to get online and use a map service (like google maps) to estimate the size of your ponds unless they are small enough to measure with tape measure or merely step them off. That is one of the first questions you'll be asked (and how deep?). Spend some time reading here on PB and you'll quickly find there are a lot of helpful people and you will be challenged to answer their questions just to get yours answered.
Posted By: Haboola Re: New guy here.. - 03/30/17 05:04 PM
The pond is around 1/4 acre and not very deep as you can see. The tree on the damn and the 4 willow sapplings are my main culprits for the water loss i believe
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: New guy here.. - 03/30/17 06:23 PM
That boat looks so lonely out there so far from the water.

My guess is that you must have a decent watershed to fill up that much with 2.5" of rain and/or your pond is a water table pond and the water table rose up that much with the rain event. And, I don't think those trees are your biggest problem with water loss. I'd wager your pond is leaking and/or you don't get enough rain to keep up with evaporation. Not that big of a deal if you are going to redo it. Just redo it right and the new and improved version won't leak. The info for redoing it right can be found here, but I will leave that to the experts.
© Pond Boss Forum