Pond Boss
Posted By: Cajunrockin New from Louisiana - 03/27/17 03:57 AM
Glad to finally be on here with actual ponds to fish and maintain. We have two ponds. One is rather small and was originally to be back filled with dirt from big pond. However as time went by I found a few trash bream from a creek and threw them in. Well needless to say it's full of them now and the kids have fun catching them. The big pond is roughly 2 acres and I just added 4 pounds of minnows and 100?" Bluegill to start. Of course budget is always the clincher on what and how many to add at a time lol. Next time the fish truck comes to town I will add more.... work in progress. I also maintain a full time job, keep and rescue bees. We have 20 acres and hope to be semi self sufficient upon retirement. There's chickens, rabbits, pigs, horses etc lol . I need more time to finish it all
Posted By: anthropic Re: New from Louisiana - 03/27/17 04:02 AM
You are most welcome here at PB, Cajunrockin! You can get lots of advice here, most of it good, just as long as you can stand seeing the phrase IT ALL DEPENDS more than a few times.

Re the two acre pond, does it have bass or other predators to keep the BG in check so that they grow big?
Posted By: Cajunrockin Re: New from Louisiana - 03/27/17 04:05 AM
No bass yet. Was told to establish a food chain first.... maybe bad advice lol?
Posted By: anthropic Re: New from Louisiana - 03/27/17 04:55 AM
That's good advice. In fact, some people don't add bass until a year later.

Best of luck & let us know how it's going for you!
Posted By: Cajunrockin Re: New from Louisiana - 03/29/17 10:48 PM
So my pond ph is 6.4
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New from Louisiana - 03/30/17 07:37 PM
Cajun, welcome to Pond Boss. A year from now, I doubt that you will have enough bluegills, starting with 100, in 2 acres, to feed bass.

I understand budgets. My general recommendation is to start with 1,000 bluegill per surface acre and add bass a year later. I often tell people to not add bass until they can go to sleep with their mouth open and wake up with a full belly.
Posted By: stickem' Re: New from Louisiana - 03/30/17 08:08 PM
CajunR,
Welcome to Pond Boss! Listen to these guys. They know their stuff.
Post pics of your project when you have time.
Posted By: Flame Re: New from Louisiana - 03/30/17 08:33 PM
So your 2 acre pond is brand new dug? If not it should have had some forage fish in it already. I might be misunderstanding your original post. A lot of us here including myself had the opertunity to dig our own ponds and start with a clean slate and stock from scratch. Is that what you have with the 2 acre pond? Is it full and how deep? I am in deep east Texas so close to Louisiana I can smell the gumbo cookin!! Welcome aboard!!
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: New from Louisiana - 03/30/17 11:50 PM
Where in south central Louisiana are you, Cajunr?
Posted By: snrub Re: New from Louisiana - 03/31/17 12:00 AM
Welcome to PBF Cajun.

Lots of good southern pondmeisters on here to help you along.
Posted By: Cajunrockin Re: New from Louisiana - 03/31/17 08:02 PM
I'm in Elton Louisiana. Yes I dug it myself over a year ago. It's filled now but still needs cosmetic work done to banks. I will be adding more bluegill once a month until enough for foraging. Work in progress lol It's roughly 10 feet deep at deepest spot. I have a spawning area as well.

Thanks for all the welcome posts
Posted By: Flame Re: New from Louisiana - 03/31/17 11:36 PM
get as many cnbg in there as you can now. They will spawn at 3 inch long. And will spawn 3-6 times a year depending on water temps!! After a year of that you will be ready for some 4-5 inch lmb!! Have fun and good luck! Also I think you are near a Cargill fish food plant you could probably drive there and pick up.Franklinton,La. Well, that might be about 3 hours from you.
Posted By: tlowry Re: New from Louisiana - 05/19/17 11:31 PM
Welcome Cajunrockin, I'm also new to Pond Boss and from Jennings, right now, just bought a place in Beauregard Parish. That's where my pond is. Will be moving as soon as we get the new place in shape.
Posted By: TKD Re: New from Louisiana - 05/20/17 02:32 AM
Hey there neighbor, I am from Jennings. I live about 2 miles from Hathaway school on Hwy. 26
Posted By: tlowry Re: New from Louisiana - 05/20/17 03:15 AM
Small world ain't it. I know quite a few people from Hathaway. I use to work at the Ag place on Farm Supply Road.
© Pond Boss Forum