Pond Boss
Posted By: abwehrly42 New Member in Middle Tennessee - 05/27/15 01:23 PM
I have been studying this website and thought I would make an introductory post in hopes of receiving some input from the collective minds of Pond Boss.

I grew up fishing a 4.5 acre pond in Alabama. I live in Cookeville, TN now and I am about to purchase land to build a home on. I would really like to build a pond. I fix up boats and it would be extremely convenient to have a body of water for test runs. Like every excited potential land owner I have dreams of a giant pond, but I understand through my research here what it takes to have a successful pond.

This tract is 10 acres of fairly level ground. I have attempted to attach a topo map. My concern is that the property is on high ground in this area, and I won't have any watershed to fill the pond. I would appreciate any input that you have.

I may be able to capture runoff from a roadside ditch, or I would consider pumping from a well depending on the cost.

Attached picture Capture.PNG
Posted By: Rainman Re: New Member in Middle Tennessee - 05/27/15 02:21 PM
Welcome to the forum! Your topo looks like you have some gentle sloping that could capture some runoff. A well is always nice, but a few thousand bucks. You could also possibly use a trash pump to grab water from the roadside ditch when/if needed and it is flowing.

To start, try getting your local NRCS agent from your area USDA field office to do a site visit, take soil core samples and shoot some elevations if possible. That could give you an idea of watershed and site possibilities along with available clay....all at no cost to you.
© Pond Boss Forum