Pond Boss
Posted By: laxbro New from East Texas - 01/26/15 03:01 AM
We bought a farm about 6 months ago in East Texas in the Mineola area. It's about 300 ac, with quite a bit of water. There is an old 18 acre lake, a 7 acre lake, two 3 acre lakes and a few scattered ponds. The lakes look like they may be spring fed, with creeks flowing in. The larger lake is in series with the smaller ones, each flowing into the next. There are bass and bluegill, also some undesirable species. These lakes are deep and very old, and we are in the process of evaluating each one. Each lake will be a project, but we are looking forward to getting the entire farm "fixed up", to be used mainly for recreation. I'm sure that through the forum we will be getting needed help and advice!
Posted By: Zep Re: New from East Texas - 01/26/15 03:11 AM
Originally Posted By: laxbro
18 acre lake, a 7 acre lake, two 3 acre lakes and a few scattered ponds.

wow...sounds like you died and went to heaven!

plus you're near East Texas Burger Company.

congrats!
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/26/15 03:25 AM
Almost heaven. The main lake has a slightly leaky dam. The lake holds it's water, but it looses some, at a trickle. Unfortunately, there are huge trees all over the dam, putting it at risk for weak areas as roots die. There are beaver too, along with otter. I think everything is stable, but things could be better. The lakes are gorgeous, cool and deep, and there are good fish too. I could leave things as they are, but we'll start with liming, fertilizing and stocking.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New from East Texas - 01/26/15 10:56 AM
Welcome Lax. Have you had the water tested?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: New from East Texas - 01/26/15 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
18 acre lake, a 7 acre lake, two 3 acre lakes and a few scattered ponds.

wow...sounds like you died and went to heaven!

plus you're near East Texas Burger Company.

congrats!

And Kitchen's Hardware!

Laxbro, welcome aboard. Mineola's a great little town, and I'm sure you'll love the area.
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 02:38 AM
Yes, and as expected, all the lakes were very acidic. We limed the large lake about 10 days ago, and I'm doing research right now on the pros and cons of fertilization. The water is extremely clear and there is very little aquatic vegetation that I can see. The lake is 25 feet deep in the middle, then comes up to 15 feet, then up to eight feet along the margins with steep banks. I'm hoping to get multiple opinions on what to do from the forum.
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 02:42 AM
Thanks! It is a very nice town and the people are very friendly. We are in the process of completely renovating the entire farm and lakes, and adding on plus updating the old house on the lake. We are using local contractors and lumber yards, etc for all the work. We are keeping the East Texas Burger place busy too.
Posted By: Zep Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 04:11 AM
very little aquatic vegetation....with steep banks.

I think a steep water's edge can sometimes
play a role in less algae along the shore.
I wish my shoreline was deeper.
Posted By: Zep Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 04:29 AM
We are using local contractors and lumber yards, etc for all the work.

laxbro if you need an extra carpenter or jack of all trades
you may consider calling a guy named Robert in Grand Saline.

Robert did some great work for us over several months in Wills Point.

He is a real honest guy, reasonable pricing, a carpenter/cabinet maker by trade, but can pretty much do anything.

He has his own truck, his own tools, can drive a backhoe/skidsteer and is very honest.

Robert: (903) 368-1582
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 10:58 AM
You guys are getting quite a local crowd in that area including Mark, Al, George, Brian and who else? Pretty dang knowledgeable bunch of rogues.
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 12:59 PM
Thanks, I'll have my builder call him.
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 01:03 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting folks in the area. I've met the folks on the neighboring properties and they are great. The lake management stuff is all new to me though so hopefully I can sponge off the local PB members.
Posted By: Tbar Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 01:19 PM
Welcome fellow east Texan.
Posted By: Flame Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 02:06 PM
Welcome from deep east Texas!! I am new to this forum also.Only been here a few months. Great bunch of people. Good luck with your new venture. You WILL find your answers here.
Posted By: esshup Re: New from East Texas - 01/27/15 03:34 PM
I'm looking forward to meeting folks in the area. I've met the folks on the neighboring properties and they are great. The lake management stuff is all new to me though so hopefully I can sponge off the local PB members.

laxbro, if you really want to be a sponge, and meet a lot of people like you with ponds, you should make a trip to Dallas.

wink grin

Pond Boss Conference in February
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/28/15 01:48 AM
Actually, we live in Dallas. The farm will be a weekend refuge and someplace to keep me busy with projects.
Posted By: Zep Re: New from East Texas - 01/28/15 02:04 AM
we live in Dallas. The farm will be a weekend refuge

sounds very familiar
Posted By: laxbro Re: New from East Texas - 01/28/15 03:05 AM
I checked out the link to the conference. Sounds like a good deal. I'm in.
Posted By: esshup Re: New from East Texas - 01/28/15 04:03 AM
Great!! I'll be there too.
© Pond Boss Forum