Pond Boss
Posted By: stickem' First post on this forum - 08/11/14 01:37 AM
I recently, in the past year, bought a wooded property in S.E. Texas that had an existing pond on it. I just had the pond drained, mucked out, and expanded to about 3 times its original size. The job was completed a couple of weeks back. We got one of those good ole SE Texas gully washers and the pond is now full. We got the correct water level set and she's holding the level just fine. Because I never got any grass seed started on the banks, the pond water is very muddy (clay). I've taken a few water samples in jars and they all seem to clear up in a day or two. Since then, I have broadcast grass seed on the banks, but I know that every rain shower we get, that the pond will continue to be muddy from the watershed until the grass comes in. Im just curious how soon I can get my FHM in the pond to get them started. Without sunlight there will be no plankton bloom. Will I need to feed these baitfish until the pond is more established, or should I wait until the water clears?
Posted By: jludwig Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 01:53 AM
Welcome to the forum.

FHM are pretty tough and I would put them in the pond as soon as possible. Bill Cody would know better but I am sure there is something for them to eat in your pond.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 01:58 AM
Welcome from oakwood texas
I started a 5ac pond about 10 months ago and now have 10' water in it, my water was as yours is muddy... Saying that I took a water sample to Overtons Fishery and had it checked... Low ph... 3tons of lime later and several months it began to clear. In the meantime I stocked 50 lbs fatheads they were fine .
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 02:10 AM
I wouldn't stock without getting my water analyzed by TAMU.
Posted By: stickem' Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 03:09 AM
Thanks, to all who responded. I did check the pH several times with a kit from TSC...The results were approximately 8, by the attached color chart. It's good solid advice to let the pros check it for me. Overton's is the closest fishery to me that I know of. Ill bring a sample when I head that way.
Posted By: HenryJordan Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 06:18 AM
What stock you are planning for your pond?
Posted By: stickem' Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 09:50 AM
Bluegill (forage), red ears (forage), largemouth bass, and channel catfish.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 04:46 PM
Stickem:
What part of east Tex are you in? We can compare notes on all this stuff. I'm near Buffalo Tex
Posted By: ewest Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 05:40 PM
FH are inexpensive and tolerate bad water. With an 8 ph you should be good to stock some now with not much $ risk.
Posted By: snrub Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 07:30 PM
FHM will redily eat fish feed pellets, floating or sinking. Even large pellets will soften quickly and be consumed. Feed and some structure like pallets for them to spawn on the underside will kickstart your forage base.
Posted By: stickem' Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 10:16 PM
Pat, my place is NE of Livingston, TX off of FM 942 between Leggett and Camden...near an old settlement called, Hortense.....back in the piney woods. Where abouts Buffalo are you?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 10:23 PM
You can stock now but will need to acclimate the fish to the water temps of the pond. Stock, if possible, very early in the morning before the pond water heats up. Or, just wait until about October.
Posted By: stickem' Re: First post on this forum - 08/11/14 10:33 PM
Thank you, for your input ewest and snrub....I believe that I can comfortably make a plan and get started.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: First post on this forum - 08/12/14 12:59 AM
Stickem
I'm east of buffalo on hwy 79 just bout5mi west of Oakwood near two lakes called S C Pickens and T B Pickens . Nice and dry tho . Mostly oak and hickory.
You at not to far- < 100 miles

Pat
© Pond Boss Forum