Pond Boss
Posted By: adafire724 New member for Oklahoma - 05/23/13 04:11 PM
Howdy all, been looking for a while and just joined. I had a pond built in August of last year and we had been in a drought so it didn't fill up till yesterday lol. I have been reading about the alum for muddy water and I have a connection to get it in bulk so Im going to try that first. I also have a cement plant in town that I can get kiln dust (read it was better than ag lime). It is about half and acre and 10 ft in the middle. The dirt is all orange clay, so I may have problems getting it clear enough to get things growing. Ill have lots of questions as I dont know anything about it. I just know how to catch fish and what habitat holds them lol.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: New member for Oklahoma - 05/24/13 12:43 AM
Not knowing much about your soils, I would do a jar test first to see if the water will settle naturally. Take some pond water in a jar and let it sit, see what it does.

A newly filled pond will be cloudy. Mine looked like a milkshake for several weeks after an initial downpour added quite a bit of water to it on bare banks. Now it is a clear as a life-filled pond can be!

Oh, and welcome!
Posted By: Nathan Re: New member for Oklahoma - 05/24/13 02:13 AM
Welcome!
I'm about 45 minutes north of you, and a couple of my neighbors' lakes were really muddy once they filled up after the drought (the ones that had dried up)

You should get a soil survey of your property if you haven't already, at
http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm
It's free and all online (see the 4 steps on the web page before starting)

Do you have any pictures of before fill and after?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New member for Oklahoma - 05/24/13 10:33 AM
I agree with squid. On new ponds, water flows over undisturbed and also loose soil and carries a lot with it. It might clear on its own but the jar test ought to tell you. Do you have anything planted to help catch soils and debris?
Posted By: adafire724 Re: New member for Oklahoma - 05/24/13 11:23 PM
Got pics up in the gallery. Thanks for welcome.
© Pond Boss Forum