Pond Boss
Posted By: yosemitemountain Great site! - 05/30/12 04:11 PM
Built a couple ponds a few years back, now that they are seasoned, I'm ready to stock them!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 04:44 PM
Good luck, and welcome aboard. You will find a lot of very helpful people and information here.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 04:54 PM
Yosemite, let's get rollin'. What are the sizes, and what area of CA, and do you have any pictures? Also, welcome to the forum...
Posted By: jludwig Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 05:14 PM
What fish also?
Posted By: yosemitemountain Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 06:13 PM
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Yosemite, let's get rollin'. What are the sizes, and what area of CA, and do you have any pictures? Also, welcome to the forum...

AWESOME! Two ponds; both spring fed...the larger one is 55' x 80', deepest area is around 10'. The other pond is round; approx. 30' across. I'm at 4200' and sometimes the ponds ice over except for where the springs feed them; un-iced area 30 sq. ft. or so. This is only during maybe 7-10 days a year.

I'm one mile from the Yosemite border; 40 acre ranch. I'd like to stock crappie, bluegill, bass...trout would be great, but understand I would have to restock as they can't breed.

Where would I get fish...would I need a permit? I'm not into permits.

I'll try to post a pic...

Attached picture IMG_1680.JPG
Posted By: yosemitemountain Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
What fish also?

Yes...exactly!

A couple years back, I threw a few dozen shiners (bait minnows) in and...boy, they are prolific!

The ponds are well 'seasoned'...good grass established all around; shallow area near the drain and farthest bank...steep and deep near the dam; after I dozed it, I had a friend come in with his 1 yd/scoop excavator...spent 4 hours!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 07:10 PM
What are your plans for predator fish?
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 07:10 PM
Looks like you've got something very good to work with. The experts will be along later in the day, but I'll give you a couple of suggestions: don't add crappie - they will take over.
You're right about the trout not reproducing, but they will hopefully live year round, and grow rapidly (with feeding) and they do taste great. You might use the smaller pond just for the trout, and the approx. 1/10A for bass and BG.
Do you live on the property?
Posted By: yosemitemountain Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 07:39 PM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
What are your plans for predator fish?

I like to eat 'em.

Is that what you meant?
Posted By: yosemitemountain Re: Great site! - 05/30/12 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Looks like you've got something very good to work with. The experts will be along later in the day, but I'll give you a couple of suggestions: don't add crappie - they will take over.
You're right about the trout not reproducing, but they will hopefully live year round, and grow rapidly (with feeding) and they do taste great. You might use the smaller pond just for the trout, and the approx. 1/10A for bass and BG.
Do you live on the property?

Hmmmm...no crappie, eh? Would perch/bluegill be better? I am hoping to not have to feed at all. If I stock bass, would the smaller fish/minnows be safe in the shallow end of the pond?

Yes...finally living here year 'round! Lovin' it!
Posted By: esshup Re: Great site! - 05/31/12 01:46 AM
If you stock bass (LMB) about the only forage fish that can reproduce enough to keep ahead and feed the LMB are BG.

The smaller fish will find some safe haven in the shallows, but I've seem LMB just about throw themselves up on the bank chasing after fish.
© Pond Boss Forum