Pond Boss
Posted By: lifeisgood CNBG nesting beds - 08/12/11 04:42 PM
Does anyone have any photos of CNBG nesting beds. We stocked with them and think we see where they have nested, and perhaps have spawned, but not really certain.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: CNBG nesting beds - 08/12/11 07:04 PM
Use the search there should be plenty in the archive, look under bluegill, same beds
Posted By: Omaha Re: CNBG nesting beds - 08/12/11 07:08 PM
There's a really cool one in the archives I think. I'll try to find it. If I can't, Eric can. grin
Posted By: Omaha Re: CNBG nesting beds - 08/12/11 07:11 PM
Bluegill Spawning Beds - lots of information and additional links. Still looking for pics.
Posted By: Omaha Re: CNBG nesting beds - 08/12/11 07:14 PM
The Structure Thread from the archives has some very good information as well as a couple pics.

I recall seeing one that was really cool, but can't find it.
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: CNBG nesting beds - 08/12/11 08:59 PM
Thanks guys, this has really been helpful.
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG nesting beds - 08/13/11 01:00 AM

Here you go - Beds and CNBG on bed

Posted By: lifeisgood Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/11/11 09:02 PM
Great pictures, thanks guys, but I'm puzzled. I see this exact thing in my pond, but have yet to see a baby CNBG. Any ideas why I haven't seen them. Should I just know they're there and leave it at that. Do they live where I wouldn't see them?
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/12/11 01:44 AM
You should have seen the offspring if there was a spawn. What size are all the different species in the pond ?
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/12/11 02:54 PM
at the present, and when I saw the nesting beds, the only thing in the pond are CNBG, minnows, and readear. The redear are much smaller than the CNBG
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/12/11 06:45 PM
A dumb question, would they have made the nest and then not spawn?
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/14/11 08:19 PM
Can anyone tell me if I should add Black Crappie to my pond. I've heard many bad words about adding Crappie but does that include Black Crappie? I understand there is a huge difference between White Crappie vs Black Crappie. I would like to have some Black Crappie, but not at the risk of my pond as a whole.

Pond is currently 3/4 acre but when full it will be about 4.5 acres and 28 feet deep at the deepest point.
Posted By: esshup Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/15/11 02:48 AM
The things that you heard also apply to Black Crappie. If it was my pond, I wouldn't.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/17/11 11:05 AM
You need a minimum of 25 acres to even take a chance on crappie.
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG nesting beds - 10/17/11 03:34 PM
Here is the link to Crappie (including black crappie)in ponds. A lot there.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92447#Post92447

I would not put crappie in a pond unless I was managing for them like the SEP note in the archives (FH , tshad , crappie and HSB IIRC) and it was a larger pond (15 acres).
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: CNBG nesting beds - 09/18/14 04:53 PM
Would broken up concrete blocks make good cover and would the mortar do anything bad to the water in the pond?
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG nesting beds - 09/18/14 07:26 PM
It could make good cover for small fish , inverts and craws etc. In most ponds the lime in the blocks and mortar would help (low alkalinity)but would not be a plus in high alkalinity waters.
Posted By: snrub Re: CNBG nesting beds - 09/18/14 08:26 PM
If you use the broken blocks, I would make fair size piles. At least a couple feet high. In my opinion, better to make fewer piles with the same amount of rock or broken blocks than very small piles or worse scattering them single over the bottom of the pond. I put some smaller stuff in my pond that is already mostly covered with FA or sediment. The larger piles will stay viable longer and thereby be more useful.

An example would be a three foot diameter pile a couple foot high minimum. If you have lots of the broken blocks, five or six feet in diameter and three feet high would be even better.

I'm not an expert, but it is what I would do with broken blocks. The small fish and critters will love the holes and hiding places it makes. Small fish and critters concentrated attracts the biger fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: CNBG nesting beds - 09/19/14 12:24 AM
snrub, correct, the single layer of rubble gets covered pretty quickly and sinks into the pond bottom in less than 2 years (at least around here).
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG nesting beds - 09/19/14 03:32 PM
Yes pile them up. I would not use them for CNBG beds but would use gravel - lots on the Forum the subject.
© Pond Boss Forum