Pond Boss
Posted By: Keven got fertilizer - 04/02/03 09:29 AM
ok i went to the co-op today and bought a 2.5 gal. jug of tackle buster 10-34-0 liquid fert. this brand ok? it calls for one gal per surface acre. they didnt have the starter pellets, i'll have to try cullman seed and feed for that i guess. the guy that put the fish in my pond gave my mom a list. he said catfish fingerling float feed 32%, for my algae he said cutrine plus or k-tea and for my cat tails he said roundup-glyphosate. So is this catfish fingerling ok or i need starter pellets? Should i leave the algae alone and get a few more small grass carp? i already have 10 that i put in last summer but they are already about arm length and the pond is about a quarter covered again, they cleaned it up last summer very quickly after i put them in, they were about 6" i think when i got them. Or should i get the cutrine plus or k-tea etc. I also need a feeder ring too right? I understand that i need to wait for the cattails to turn green and deal with them then correct? Somebody give me a step by step breakdown of whats most important and in what order to worry about each problem i have please. Thanks for all of the help so far, i'm starting to understand alot more about everything. Shan i'll email you my number asap. Keven
Posted By: David Reed Re: got fertilizer - 04/02/03 02:28 PM
Keven, I have sprayed cattails several times. Here is what I know. Do not spray them when they start turning green. That's way too early. You will not get a kill. Wait until they get more mature. Use 4oz. Rodeo per gallon of water with a good surfactant (2oz. per gallon). Be patient. They will start turning yellow in a week or two. Eventually they will die. Next year they will not come back.
I can assure you that this formula works.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: got fertilizer - 04/02/03 03:40 PM
David not sure why but I have no problem kiling them when they first showup green. I have done this probably 50 times. I agree with how you said to mix it. Keven, a feeder ring will help but is not neccesary a hoop at walmart would work.
Posted By: Dave Davidson Re: got fertilizer - 04/02/03 04:31 PM
Keven, I don't like feeder rings. It concentrates the food in one small area. Once the catfish show up, the bluegills and fatheads leave. I prefer to broadcast over a large area so everything gets a shot.
© Pond Boss Forum