Pond Boss
Posted By: Paul FNG HSB as LMB population control? - 09/13/19 08:45 PM
My 0.4A pond is very slowly filling...or not filling due to drought.

Next spring, assuming we get sufficient rain in the fall/winter/early spring, I plan to stock 15lb of FHM in late March, then in late May stock 300 BG, 100 HBG, and 100 RES all @ 3-5" length. I figure more BG I stock, the more food I'll ultimately have available for predator fish from recruits and by putting the panfish in a pond full of FHM they'll get a good start.

I also plan to supplemental pellet feed with Optimal Bluegill for a year once the panfish are in the water to provide the best possible initial growth for all eventual fish.

In the fall, I am currently planning on stocking 20 LMB and 20 HSB @ 5-7" and probably 5 albino CC in spring 2021 since my kids want to catch catfish.

My hope is that by stocking 20 HSB, I can slow the typical overpopulation of LMB that often happens in a smaller BOW since 1. fewer LMB to recruit and 2. HSB will feed on LMB recruits in addition to BG.

Does that expectation jive with the reality of HSB and LMB sharing the same small pond?
Posted By: jpsdad Re: HSB as LMB population control? - 09/13/19 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Paul FNG

My hope is that by stocking 20 HSB, I can slow the typical overpopulation of LMB that often happens in a smaller BOW since 1. fewer LMB to recruit and 2. HSB will feed on LMB recruits in addition to BG.

Does that expectation jive with the reality of HSB and LMB sharing the same small pond?

To be sure, the HSB will eat some 0-year LMB. One the other hand, you are planning to introduce a predator that will compete with your original LMB much like LMB recruits would compete with them. Unless you really want HSB, I would probably forego them. IMHO, I don't think they will help your bass.

It sounds like you would like to have some trophy LMB in your BOW based on your concerns about competition from LMB recruits. Is this your main goal? Or is there more or something different you would like to achieve with your BOW?
Posted By: Paul FNG Re: HSB as LMB population control? - 09/14/19 04:42 PM
I'm not necessarily trying for trophy fish; my desire is to manage the pond for both decent-sized BG and decent-sized LMB. Supplemental feeding is one way to get there, but also to ensure LMB numbers don't get *too* high.

Basically, I want high opportunity for hook-ups when fishing with my kids, but want to ensure I don't end up with a bunch of stunted 8-10" LMB a few years in since a BOW my size will only support so much biomass.

I could always go with 40 LMB instead of a 20 LMB/20 HSB mix, but I figure if nothing else, non-reproducing wipers will help reduce the LMB overpopulation risk regardless of their predation of LMB recruits.
Posted By: jpsdad Re: HSB as LMB population control? - 09/14/19 06:13 PM
I think you will be able to keep up with LMB reproduction. Look for the user Bocomo's thread on his BOW. It was once like the BOW you don't want to happen. But today, I think it is very nearly just exactly what you are trying do. Apply his harvest and selection technique and the problems of LMB overpopulation will not likely be a problem for you.

Given your goals, adding the HSB may not hurt a thing and could add some diversity and fun to the catch. The HSB will crop LMB YOY in much the same way LMB crop LMB YOY. Because they will occupy part of standing weight afforded the predators, there will be fewer LMB mating which might result in fewer LMB YOY hatching. Given the size of BG is important, the only potential weakness would be how effective the HSB will be at cropping BG YOY.
© Pond Boss Forum