Pond Boss
Posted By: roundy Possible SMB/YP in pond nearing completion - 07/28/19 02:18 AM
I have been researching current thoughts on a smb/yp pond in Central Illinois. This pond is nearing completion so it’s time to lock in a plan. These are my current thoughts, looking for advise or changes needed.
Clay bottomed pond about 15 deep to 6 foot deep and a little over an acre in size, pic from a couple days ago.

Haul in a load of 1-2 inch white rock for spawning area.
2 fairly large Osage orange brush piles, one next to spawning area.
FHM and GSH this fall as soon as water depth warrants.
Next spring add RES (possible this fall if rain gods cooperate)
Also in spring try to get some arrow root and celery grass started.
Next fall add YP and SMB
Add a few HSB at a later date depending how pond develops.

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Possible SMB/YP in pond nearing completion - 07/28/19 05:30 AM
I'm new to yp and most definitely new to raising my own smb outside of a large lake environment but I do believe large areas of 3-5" rock near Larger boulder piles would be extremely beneficial to smb and I find my larger yp utilizing very similar areas. When it comes to "rock", diversity is key as far as I can see.
I really wish I would have found TJ's smb nest structures earlier as well. Nesting may or may not be an issue-every pond is different-but the diversity the structure adds alone is important ambush AND yoy protection.
The vast rock will add countless (read successful) crawfish hideouts that will be very important in providing abundance and diversity in forage base as well.
Roundy:

Ping me sometime, I'm happy to walk you through the process of what's worked well for me - a lot depends on your goals, so have those identified. I manage a dozen of these cool water fisheries on my farm and for clients - happy to share my experiences. Just too little time to exchange on the forum I can cover 6 months of posts in 20 minutes. Have a pen handy or record the call and I'm always available for follow up when you get stuck. My time is free to my PB family!

tj@hudlandmgmt.com
Originally Posted By: Snipe
I'm new to yp and most definitely new to raising my own smb outside of a large lake environment but I do believe large areas of 3-5" rock near Larger boulder piles would be extremely beneficial to smb and I find my larger yp utilizing very similar areas. When it comes to "rock", diversity is key as far as I can see.
I really wish I would have found TJ's smb nest structures earlier as well. Nesting may or may not be an issue-every pond is different-but the diversity the structure adds alone is important ambush AND yoy protection.
The vast rock will add countless (read successful) crawfish hideouts that will be very important in providing abundance and diversity in forage base as well.

Yes on above, elevate your rock or it will be covered in silt/organic material after a couple seasons...too much $$ and effort wasted. I can help you here.
© Pond Boss Forum