Pond Boss
Posted By: Cypressjeff CNBG vs Giant Florida Hyb Bream vs HCNBG - 03/13/19 08:48 PM
Our 3/4 acre 10 feet deep pond was dug last fall and is full. My goal is to have a low management pond. I’m aerating it but don’t want to feed. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with the Hybrids in the title?
I've got native BG and both feed (periodically) and aerate. I am considering adding CNBG to hopefully cross into the natives to improve my growth potential.

Everything I've read about any hybrid species that are capable of reproducing is that eventually one side of the cross (or the other) eventually becomes more prominent 2 or 3 generations down the road, especially if GSF are involved in the hybridization.

I have naturally occurring crosses due to limited numbers of WM, where they've crossed with BG, so adding CNBG to the mix doesn't bother me at all.

Unfortunately, I dont have enough knowledge of those in your heading to be able to give you my opinion. I'm sure someone will be happy to give you theirs tho.
Here is a forum thread with a similar question. No clear answer on the unusual hybrids.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=409898

Whatever you do carefully consider adding an appropriate predator. Even hybrids have some kids that need control. CNBG have lots and lots of kids that need an aggressive predator such as LMB to keep in check.

Also some redear sunfish are a plus to manage snails and therefore reduce parasites.
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG vs Giant Florida Hyb Bream vs HCNBG - 03/14/19 03:22 PM
Can you id the crosses you are asking about? CNBG are not a cross and neither are BG with CNBG (they are the same at the species level). There are no noted problems that I am aware of with mixing BG and CNBG. Don't know what a giant Fl hybrid bream is.
© Pond Boss Forum