Pond Boss
Posted By: mattmonster1991 flathead and gizzard shad pond? - 01/18/19 08:50 PM
i know they say flatheads wont work in small ponds due to eating so muc.h and gizzard shad isnt good to add due to how large they get but im curious say you had a 1.5 acre pond could u actually have a decent flathead catfish population if you stocked it regularly with gizzard shad?

i can always go and catch over 100 at a time with my cast net at my local spillway. some are around 5 pounds even id think if i addedlike 300 of them to my pond like every 2 months and them breeding that the flatheads would have plenty of forage to eat and theyd not try n eat each other to have some good eating sized flatheads around 200 in the 5-15 pound range maybe?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: flathead and gizzard shad pond? - 01/18/19 10:00 PM
I would bet that you could grow flatheads in any sized pond if you fed them whether your feeding them GSH, panfish, pellets, chicken livers or whatever.

The real questions are how much to feed per pound of live flathead and do you have enough gumption to throw that net as much as it would take?

I really like the idea of a flathead pond. If my pond ever goes south regarding stunted and overpopulated, I would have to think about growing a few monsters.
Posted By: mattmonster1991 Re: flathead and gizzard shad pond? - 01/19/19 05:05 AM
our spillway is super overpopulated with shad and whata great way t use them if i hada pond i could get a female or male and add in gizzard shad to feed them
© Pond Boss Forum