Pond Boss
Posted By: adr hybrid blues - 11/09/18 02:12 PM
need a recommended seller of hybrid blues that will fed x ship.
Posted By: anthropic Re: hybrid blues - 11/10/18 01:32 AM
Just to be clear, you are talking about blue catfish x channel cats, right? Think we had a previous thread about them, but I honestly don't know of any suppliers. Interesting idea.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: hybrid blues - 11/10/18 01:39 AM
The only source for HBC I have seen on the forum is Rainman. You might try sending him a PM.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: hybrid blues - 11/10/18 01:17 PM
I haven't found a supplier either. Which is odd because I think they are a fairly common fish in the aquaculture world.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: hybrid blues - 11/10/18 01:57 PM
I know Henneke fish hatchery raise hybrids, I don’t know if they are shipping out though.
Posted By: adr Re: hybrid blues - 11/10/18 03:11 PM
Thanks, I had called them and left a message with some lady that answers the phone but they did not call back. Must be extremely busy or fishing or maybe its hunting season. Thank you for the shout back.
Posted By: Rainman Re: hybrid blues - 11/12/18 05:54 AM
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
I haven't found a supplier either. Which is odd because I think they are a fairly common fish in the aquaculture world.

The HBC are raised by the tens of millions in the south....for food fish growers. They sell them at 8" and they weigh about what a 4" fish would. Food growers want numbers, so fingerling producers starve the fish before selling them.

Since I used catfish growers to raise my Tilapia, I could get Hybrid Blue/Channel Catfish at about any size.
Posted By: NEDOC Re: hybrid blues - 11/12/18 01:17 PM
Rainman, have you had any experience with HBC? From the description they sound like quite the sportfish. Grow to enormous sizes and are hyper aggressive.

Let us know if you find someone that ships small ones. I wouldn't mind growing some out in my grow out pond and then releasing them in my big pond to see how these are as a sportfish.
Posted By: Rainman Re: hybrid blues - 11/13/18 03:40 AM
NEDOC....I only see them in very high density ponds for growing food fish....growth to 1.5-2.5 pounds happens about 30% faster than straight blue or channel catfish growth....so they must be voracious pellet hogs...still requires the same amount of feed to gain the growth.
Posted By: snrub Re: hybrid blues - 11/13/18 07:44 PM
You have his attention with that growth rate Rex.

He is going to want some!
© Pond Boss Forum