Pond Boss
Posted By: Vortex 4 Fish delivery - 08/31/18 02:17 AM
Looks faster than the fish truck I used.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-can...lake-from-above
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Fish delivery - 08/31/18 01:31 PM
Less stressful? Anybody ask the fish? grin
Posted By: snrub Re: Fish delivery - 08/31/18 03:58 PM
I was just transferring human emotions over to the fish and thinking of the conversation going on between two of them, Joe and Fred.

What are you worried about Fred? You are always so paranoid. Here we are cozy, going on this really cool plane ride and all you can do is....what's that? The door is opening.......
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Posted By: robjones Re: Fish delivery - 11/01/18 12:16 PM
Really? This is interesting! LOL
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Fish delivery - 11/01/18 10:58 PM
Reminds me of a post I read a few days ago....the guy had a fish slip out of his hand and it dropped 2 feet....DOA back to the pond! I'm sure dropping them from several hundred feet is not a problem wink
Posted By: adr Re: Fish delivery - 11/19/18 06:36 PM
was there ever a list of fish dealers that sell fish and would fed x across the country overnight?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Fish delivery - 11/20/18 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: JKS3613

The other way to stock high mountain trout lakes is via horseback, a plane ride might actually be less stressful. grin
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: Fish delivery - 11/20/18 11:40 AM
I didn't see a single parachute open...amazing
Posted By: vseprosto90211 Re: Fish delivery - 02/18/20 02:35 AM
Originally Posted By: JKS3613

laugh less stressful. Looks like it's not grin Quite an interesting method
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Fish delivery - 02/18/20 03:50 AM
Decades ago an intrepid wanderer named Finis Mitchell packed quite the variety of trout into many of the Wind River mountain lakes in Wyoming, mainly on horse and mule back.

Nowadays, those high mountain lakes often get restocked by plane.

There is natural reproduction and recruitment in some of the lakes; others need periodic additions of fish to keep the populations going. Wyoming Game and Fish prefers to plant fingerlings that then grow to beautiful, feisty, often large trout.

It's an incredible experience to backpack for two days into some of these lakes and cast your fly to 1 to 3 pound cutthroats and brookies, knowing Finis himself may have carried their ancestors up to 9, 10, 11 thousand feet elevation by pack animal a very long time ago. Lots of these lakes are above treeline. YAY tundra!!!
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Fish delivery - 02/18/20 03:54 AM
As fragile as trout are compared to YP, carp, some of the sunfishes, I've often wondered how they survive being dropped from a plane with absolutely no acclimation to their new surroundings. No water tempering, no gentle release.
But it works.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Fish delivery - 02/18/20 07:40 AM
Originally Posted By: 4CornersPuddle
As fragile as trout are compared to YP, carp, some of the sunfishes, I've often wondered how they survive being dropped from a plane with absolutely no acclimation to their new surroundings. No water tempering, no gentle release.
But it works.

4Corners, when I got some rainbow trout stocked a few months ago, I was surprised to see them just dumped straight into the water without any acclimation. The stocker mentioned that as long as the water temp was okay, they do just fine.

Based on my experience, they are wonderful growers on feed, maybe the best I have. Wish they could live through summer!
© Pond Boss Forum