Pond Boss
Posted By: L.j. Trout vs otter - 08/05/18 04:01 PM
Which species of these 3 trout, Brook/Rainbow/Brown, has the best chance of surviving an otter attack? I read that trout between the length of 8 to 10 inches are fast enough to evade the otter? I am wondering which trout species , of the three mentioned, is the fastest or most agile swimmer?
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Trout vs otter - 08/05/18 04:19 PM
In an enclosed environment with no possible means of escape!! I'd like to meet that trout!!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Trout vs otter - 08/05/18 06:50 PM
Originally Posted By: L.j.
Which species of trout has the best chance of surviving an otter attack?

No question about it: Lake trout.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Trout vs otter - 08/05/18 09:18 PM
They might survive if the pond is completely full of brush.
Posted By: L.j. Re: Trout vs otter - 08/06/18 03:04 PM
LOL
Posted By: L.j. Re: Trout vs otter - 08/06/18 04:07 PM
I read that trout between the length of 8 to 10 inches are fast enough to evade the otter? I am wondering which trout species is the fastest or most agile swimmer?
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Trout vs otter - 08/06/18 05:29 PM
The otters got my CC last winter, but not many BG at all. They left after eating the CC. Either BG evaded them by getting into the small brush piles in the ponds or the otters aren't that interested in catching 6 to 8 inch BG. There were two LMB about 12 to 14 inches in the first pond and the otters left them also.

I have found two surviving CC in one pond out of about 35 and four in the other pond out of about 50. I can easily count them when they come to feed.
© Pond Boss Forum