Pond Boss
Posted By: mypeoples New Bass/Bluegill Pond - 07/20/18 06:50 PM
We built a 2 acre pond this past spring in south MS and stocked it with around 1000 FHM and 600 3-5" BG over the last few weeks from a friend's pond that was overpopulated by small BGs. We don't plan on feeding so what would be the appropriate number of intermediate BGs and fingerling RES to stock and when should I stock the fingerling LMBs? Conventional wisdom says to stock LMB in the spring, but with stocking larger BG than normal, should I go ahead and stock sooner?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: New Bass/Bluegill Pond - 07/20/18 07:15 PM
You could best stock the LMB as soon as you see your current forage fish reproducing small fry. The 4" - 5" BG that you have stocked are very likely reproducing NOW. Arrange to get some LMB fingerlings asap.
Posted By: snrub Re: New Bass/Bluegill Pond - 07/21/18 01:31 AM
I echo Bill's advice.

I have a pond that the BG were stocked in spring and LMB in fall. I fed the BG and they reproduced wildly. Now I have so many BG I am not getting any LMB recruitment 4 years later.

Those larger BG will be spawning so I would get some LMB in there if you are stocking fingerlings. If it were me, but I am by no means an expert. Bill C is though.
Posted By: ewest Re: New Bass/Bluegill Pond - 07/21/18 02:44 PM
Stock advanced fingerling LMB this fall 6-8 inches if possible. Those 3-5 inch BG are reproducing by now.
Posted By: mypeoples Re: New Bass/Bluegill Pond - 07/24/18 02:10 PM
Thanks Guys! I'll be getting LMB in there soon.
© Pond Boss Forum