Pond Boss
Posted By: Todd9696 Fish stocking new pond - 04/16/18 07:17 PM
I recently read an article by Bob Lusk about stocking Northern ponds, with Pumpkinseeds and fathead minnows in the spring, then (at least 6 months later but preferably a year) SMB, GSH, and YP.
I like this scenario but am having a hard time accessing pumpkinseeds in Wi., Il., or Ia. any suggestions? skip the pumpkinseeds? my focus is to raise big SMB but also have a type of panfish for fishing and eating and also the YP for fishing/eating
Posted By: beastman Re: Fish stocking new pond - 04/16/18 07:38 PM
Could consider RES, ( redear ) and HBG, they would not be a lot forage for the SMB necessarily but would offer another panfish and not over populate.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Fish stocking new pond - 04/16/18 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd9696
I recently read an article by Bob Lusk about stocking Northern ponds, with Pumpkinseeds and fathead minnows in the spring, then (at least 6 months later but preferably a year) SMB, GSH, and YP.
I like this scenario but am having a hard time accessing pumpkinseeds in Wi., Il., or Ia. any suggestions? skip the pumpkinseeds? my focus is to raise big SMB but also have a type of panfish for fishing and eating and also the YP for fishing/eating

I got my PS from Keystone Hatcheries in Richmond, Illinois (Illinois/Wisconsin border). I believe they do sell to Wisconsin residents. I also got my FHM, GSH, YP, WE and CC from them. They also have SMB...actually, everything on your shopping list. Good folks.
Posted By: Todd9696 Re: Fish stocking new pond - 04/16/18 07:58 PM
Unfortunately RES are illegal to stock in Wisconsin, and I have been told by a hatchery here that I am too far north for them to make it through our winters. Keystone is who told me that they could not guarantee me PS this Spring and not even SMB for Fall as both fish have risen greatly in popularity, so there is a great demand but sparse supply.
© Pond Boss Forum