Pond Boss
Posted By: rumme55 What is the best fish for eating algae ? - 12/22/17 12:11 AM
String algae, floating bubble algae , etc. Is there 1 or 2 certain fish that are gonna gobble it down ? This would be for zone 7 in the U.S. ...something that could survive winter and possibly be a good edible fish . Ive read different opinions online and wanted to see what people on this forum thought.
Tilapia eat some algaes but don't survive winter. Don't know anything else.
Posted By: rumme55 Re: What is the best fish for eating algae ? - 12/22/17 12:44 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

I was also told grass carp , but they really aren't a good edible fish.
It you want to give us a state to look at, there are certain states that allow Tilapia. There are different strains for different areas.

Zone 7 is a little nebulous
Amano Shrimp is a very popular and active algae-eating species.
Posted By: Bing Re: What is the best fish for eating algae ? - 12/26/17 03:57 PM
It appears that Amano Shrimp are primarily aquarium animals.
Posted By: Rainman Re: What is the best fish for eating algae ? - 12/27/17 05:47 PM
Originally Posted By: rumme55
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Grass carp are incapable of digesting algae, so to avoid starvation, they avoid it. Whomever told you grass carp will eat algae was incorrect. Some crawfish will eat or disrupt algae growth. Be VERY careful of trying to stock things like the shrimp mentioned, as any species added to your pond must be on the approved aquatic species list or you could get into some very serious legal (criminal) problems...
Crawfish. I don't know anything else. Pay attention to the fact, that your fish should be approved by the aquatic species list, so you would avoid serious problems with law.
Tilapia do a number on filamentous algae, sometimes called "snotgrass" for the way they look & feel. But I don't know of any tilapia that could survive a regular winter in Zone 7.
As I know of, the best species for getting rid of algae are the common Pleco, Gambusia affinis, and grass carp. Best of luck, pal!
Tilapia, Tilapia, Tilapia. Restock every year. Period.
+1 on the tilapia
Posted By: Snipe Re: What is the best fish for eating algae ? - 03/14/20 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by rumme55
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1

Grass carp cannot process true "algae".. They will eat many types of plants but Planktonic algae is not something they will work well on.
© Pond Boss Forum