Pond Boss
Posted By: TGW1 Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/12/17 01:54 PM
I have a friend who wanted some Tp for the winter. He has a nice set up for raising Tp indoors. Fact is, he has a nice set up for raising most any fish indoors. So, we set out to cast net up some Tp out of my pond. It was cold that day and a strong cold front had passed through that day/night before. Will, I am guessing the change in weather sent the Tp either deep or sent them into heavy cover. Neither is good when using a casting net. After making a trip around the 3+ acre ponds shoreline and making a cast every few feet we came up empty as far as the Tp went but we managed to catch up some Tfs. And we decided to keep some of these and added them to the live well in the boat. After another trip around the pond we figured we had a couple of hundred TFS of all sizes. There were some nice sized brooders and some smaller ones. Some looked to be only a half inch or so in size and we figured I had a good spawn of shad recently and some were in the 3 to 4" range. So, we decided to take a break, he had made a lot of cast with the net. And decided to transfer the shad into the fish tank he had brought with him. So here is the funny part. We had been adding the shad into the top of the live well and the shad exited (swam out) the drain plug back into the pond. I felt like an idiot, and made several excuses for not putting the plug in. We wound up with around 25 to 30 tfs. Now remember, we were planning on catching and saving Tp and they were going to be to large to go through any drain plug. And when we changed our plan, I forgot to add the plug. What an idiot. smile
Will, we decided to make another trip around the pond and by this time it was becoming late afternoon. We finally caught some 5 Tp as the afternoon sun lowered in the sky. And we caught some more tfs but not near as many as we expected based on our first trip or two around the pond. I guess we had them scattered by then. It had become a long day and my casting buddy said he would be dreaming that night of casting, he had thrown it so many times. As it all turned out we laughed it all off and he got home with some fish but it was a day to remember. One more note is as I exited the boat I fell on my arse and busted my shin and my face. What an idiot and what a day. I thought I would share this story, and recommend to others to check the live well plug and watch your step we stepping out of the boat.
Posted By: dale k Re: Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/12/17 03:39 PM
well I think its exciting you had ATFS spawn. I seem to fall a lot don't feel bad
Posted By: Flame Re: Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/12/17 05:11 PM
Dang Tracy, Bill Dance would have used that on his show!! Kidding, Hope your ok!!
Posted By: snrub Re: Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/13/17 12:14 AM
Surprising what new muscles a person discovers after throwing a cast net enough times.

At any rate, it was likely more fun than a day at work!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/13/17 03:49 PM
Man Tracy you have a good friend to not be mad after letting the TFS go after not finding the Tilapia. Also, he or she must be really strong to toss a cast net THAT many time and not cuss you!

As I hear it, no new muscles were found the next day, I guess it was all the laughing going on the day before that kept your friend form being sore.

Sure glad you guys had a plan B smile
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/14/17 01:37 PM
At one time, I was good with a cast net. Now, I throw tacos.
Posted By: snrub Re: Cast net/ what an idiot - 11/14/17 04:14 PM
I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get about 4 out of 5 good throws.

I think I was more relaxed and not worrying about trying to throw it "right" and that helped me do a nice easy throw. Also helps that mine is the smallest of size and the RES I was targeting were mostly in very close to the shore. I did do a few deep water throws further out and did ok though.

I kind of figured when I started, "this is not going to go well". But it turned out good.
© Pond Boss Forum