Pond Boss
Posted By: c.j. Bass pond - Can i add Catfish? - 09/26/17 11:41 AM
we are starting clean with a new pond. Bream/Shad to start and then Large Mouth coming in spring. my question: is it a cardinal sin to include catfish in a pond like this? will they cause a lot of harm to the pond?
Posted By: ThePondDragon Re: Bass pond - Can i add Catfish? - 09/26/17 12:28 PM
How big is the pond, how deep? Do you plan to aerate and or feed? What are your stocking numbers?

In general CC are a good choice with BG and LMB. A few pointers, decrease the bass stocking numbers a bit to account for the catfish. Also if your goal is big bass, harvest the catfish at about 2 pounds because after that they will start to significantly compete with your bass. I have CC and LMB in my pond here up in Wisconsin and both the bass and catfish grow fine despite each other.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Bass pond - Can i add Catfish? - 09/26/17 02:53 PM
Your pond will suport "X" number of predators. You can add catfish, but you need to offset the LMB you stock.
Posted By: c.j. Re: Bass pond - Can i add Catfish? - 09/26/17 02:55 PM
Originally Posted By: ThePondDragon
How big is the pond, how deep? Do you plan to aerate and or feed? What are your stocking numbers?

In general CC are a good choice with BG and LMB. A few pointers, decrease the bass stocking numbers a bit to account for the catfish. Also if your goal is big bass, harvest the catfish at about 2 pounds because after that they will start to significantly compete with your bass. I have CC and LMB in my pond here up in Wisconsin and both the bass and catfish grow fine despite each other.

4 acres, 3ft-15ft mostly around 6ft. possible supplemental feed. open to any stocking numbers
Posted By: ThePondDragon Re: Bass pond - Can i add Catfish? - 09/26/17 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: c.j.
Originally Posted By: ThePondDragon

4 acres, 3ft-15ft mostly around 6ft. possible supplemental feed. open to any stocking numbers

I'm no expert but I would saw for stocking numbers, 1600 BG, 600 RES, 150 LMB, and 50 CC. Just my 2 cents.
© Pond Boss Forum