Pond Boss
Posted By: vafarmdog Where's Waldo? - 05/11/17 01:52 PM
So, I stocked my new one acre pond with 10 lbs fathead minnows a month ago. Then, last week I added 500 BG and 125 redear, and prepared to begin feeding them the next day. But every day (5 days now) I've tossed out a handfull of feed, no fish have come. Granted, they're small compared to the pellet, and I'm sure they're swimming around fine. But should I continue tossing feed daily? I haven't seen any sign of the little buggers.

FYI, pics of my pond are in this post .
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/11/17 02:14 PM
I found it takes 30 days for fish to get into feed and their new pond. The water could have been different in dissolved solids or salts. This takes time for the fish to get use to it.
Posted By: vafarmdog Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/11/17 02:20 PM
Thanks...so you suggest I keep tossing a handful of feed daily at the spot where I put them in?
Posted By: CMM Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/11/17 04:07 PM
vafarmdog,

I would keep throwing in a small amount of feed, same time, same place, every day. If your fish are very small compared to the pellets, try crushing some of the feed into smaller pieces.

Good luck and let us know when you see feeding activity.
Posted By: vafarmdog Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/11/17 06:36 PM
Thanks!
Posted By: xraytrapper Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/12/17 02:26 AM
were they pellet trained from you got them at? the fish I put in my new pond were all pellet trained and It took a week for them to start feeding. and they were 5-10" YP that ate pellets their whole life. still some nights they don't feed well but water still cold. I think next week they should start feeding better with the warmer weather. I also bought the same feed that the fish farm uses, Ziegler. good luck and hope they show up soon.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/12/17 03:04 AM
I have had the same troubles with 58 eight inch CC I stocked in early and mid March. Nothing feeding but FHM and I throw a few handfuls of feed into the ring every evening.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/12/17 10:31 AM
I have, in the past, walked around the pond tossing small amounts of pellets to find the BG. Later, tossing the pellets where I want them to feed. It has worked most of the time.
Posted By: vafarmdog Re: Where's Waldo? - 05/12/17 11:43 AM
XRay - Not sure. I' got them from the Fish Wagon. Not sure how they feed.
© Pond Boss Forum