Pond Boss
Posted By: big_pond Hybrid Catfish questions - 02/19/17 02:51 AM
Ok I have a dilemma here. As people knew from my previous post, I built my ponds to grow blue cats. I am not sure how successful I have been over the 12 years. So I am considering going with these hybrid blue channels I've been reading about. There seem to be a lot of good about them. They say they have a growth rate faster than channels! Couple of questions:
1) what is the max size of these hybrids??
2)where can I gains some good pictures of these fish?
3) where can I find some?
4) has anyone stocked these?? How do you like them compared to Blues??
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 02/19/17 03:02 AM
Good to hear from you. It's been awhile. I don't recall any discussions about the hybrid blues.
Posted By: Zep Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 02/19/17 03:22 AM
big_pond this guy although too far away from you seems to know a lot about hybrid blue catfish, i bet if you call him he could answer most of your questions.
http://hennekehatchery.com/hybrid-blue-catfish/

You may also find this video interesting:

Posted By: big_pond Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 02/22/17 01:21 AM
Zep I tried this guy and no dice... He did not even know of a supplier for these fish...

any other ideas?

Has anyone else stocked these fish?
Posted By: Zep Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 02/22/17 02:52 AM
big_pond....not sure if these guys would ship to Georgia

http://www.rainbowheadfarms.com/hybridcatfish.html
Posted By: CRF450 Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 03/31/17 02:02 AM
when I spoke to rainbow head farms last year he no longer sold hybrid catfish he said he loved the fish but there was no demand for them around here. Mike Nardella is his name real nice guy to talk to I believe he said he got them from Arkansas hope this helps .
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 03/31/17 02:38 AM
My understanding is the Hybrids are what a lot of the catfish farms are using now so they must be available. You might try sending Rainman a PM. He seems to be in the know on where to get what.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 04/01/17 03:56 PM
Big_pond, most any catfish farm in GA will probably use Hybrid Blue Catfish (A channel/blue cross).

I will be delivering some adult YP, Blue Cats and SMB in a month or two in GA.
Posted By: snrub Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 04/01/17 05:15 PM
Rex when you say catfish farm, are you meaning a commercial catfish farm that grows catfish out to food size?

What are the advantages of the hybrids over regular CC from a commercial farm standpoint?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 04/01/17 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub
Rex when you say catfish farm, are you meaning a commercial catfish farm that grows catfish out to food size?

What are the advantages of the hybrids over regular CC from a commercial farm standpoint?

Yes, snrub, commercial food fish production. The hybrid fish grow faster (to 1.5-2 pounds, anyway), more uniform growth to target harvest sizes, and taste more mild.
Posted By: cheyenne19 Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 09/26/17 03:03 AM
Little late to the party in this thread, but I have some hybrid cc/bc in my lake. The only way to be certain is to count rays on the anal fin, and skmetkems it's still not exact. We've caught them well in excess of 20lbs.
Posted By: big_pond Re: Hybrid Catfish questions - 11/07/17 02:36 PM
Rainman,

Hey did you ever make that trip to Georgia with those blue cats??

I'm am still interested
© Pond Boss Forum