Pond Boss
Posted By: hilltop101 small north TX pond stocking - 11/25/15 02:51 AM
I recently purchased a property in southeastern Collin County in north north central Texas. The pond is app 70x100 and maybe 4 to 6 feet deep. It's gently sloping and I would say the visibility is maybe 1.5 to 2 feet with some vegetation. I tried fishing it the other day but didn't get a bite and have seen no fish in it. I'm not sure if it dried up during the drought.
I would like to stock some fish for it but not sure which fish or how many. I would like for it to be a low maintenance pond. I wouldn't mind hand feeding maybe once a week but prefer not to buy an automatic feeder. I emailed Overton fisheries and they recommended the following:

200 4-6inch Coppernose Bluegill @ $.80 = $160
100 2-3inch Redear Sunfish @ $.50 = $50
15 lbs Fathead Minnows @ $11 = $165
15 5-7inch Largemouth Bass @ $3.50 = $52.50
15 7-9inch Hybrid Striper @ $4 = $60
25 6-8” Channel Catfish @ $1 = $25

This seems like a lot of fish for a small pond and didn't really want to spend that much stocking it seeing how I'm not sure how it will look this summer. Any recommendations on how to move forward? Thanks
Posted By: Joshua Flowers Re: small north TX pond stocking - 11/25/15 03:14 AM
What your goals for the 1/10 acre pond? Concentrate on what you want the pond to be thats your primary goal. What type of fishery do you really wan too catch? Family fun? Kids opportunity to fish? Just relaxation pond? These are the kind of questions I would be asking to help determine type of my fish species to stock.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: small north TX pond stocking - 11/25/15 11:03 AM
Not sure who returned your EMail but agree that you would get way too many fish in a small pond that size. There had to be a misunderstanding about size.

I expect that it did dry up. All shallow, small ponds, in Texas did.

Here's the problem. When you get too many fish in a pond, O2 depletion hits and you have a die off. They live and swim in their own toilets and water quality is a key factor in success. Remember this point.

Only bass can control bluegill spawning numbers in North Texas. However, bass generally over spawn and wipe out the forage(bluegills and fatheads) base. You wind up with a bunch of skinny bass and a couple of nice sized bluegills.

Fatheads are a very prolific fish that generally get wiped out in the first year. 15 pounds is what I recommend for 1/2 to 3/4 acre. Yours is .17 acre and shallow.

If it were me, and it's not, I would rethink the low maintenance aspect. That generally gives less than stellar results.

I would PERSONALLY stock about 100 hybrid bluegills, 25 channel cats, and feed them about every other day. Once you start feeding them, you'll have a ball watching them.
Posted By: Rainman Re: small north TX pond stocking - 11/25/15 02:53 PM
Stocked all at the same time, I'd say those fish sizes and numbers are not out of line...just over 1000 CNBG/acre. Personally, I'd cut back to 150 CNBG, 50 RES, 10 HSB and 0-10 CC. I'd also up the FHM to 20#, again, if all stocked at the same time.
© Pond Boss Forum