Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Long Ears - 08/25/15 02:55 PM
I can't remember what post it was in but I caught this guy last year. He was in spawn mode as you can tell by the colors! They almost look like they ought to be in the Ocean when they color up like this!! I wish they got as big as CNBG!! That would be sweet!!!

RC

Attached picture Long Ear.jpg
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Long Ears - 08/25/15 03:09 PM
Classic male LES, tall forehead and all.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Long Ears - 08/25/15 04:00 PM
It would be interesting to try crossing the LES with BG and see what size the hybrids will grow to .
Posted By: RC51 Re: Long Ears - 08/25/15 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
It would be interesting to try crossing the LES with BG and see what size the hybrids will grow to .

Hey Bill I put 4 or 5 of these all about the same size in my pond? I haven't seen them since but if I do or if I see a strange possible Hybrid I will for sure take a pic of it and post it! I love these fish they are absolutely beautiful for fresh water!

RC
Posted By: snrub Re: Long Ears - 08/25/15 07:05 PM
That is a very pretty fish!
Posted By: ewest Re: Long Ears - 08/25/15 08:35 PM
Nice fish RC. Where do you think it came from (got there)?

http://www.web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/longearsun.html
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Long Ears - 08/25/15 09:39 PM
Beautiful!

Wish I could find some LES to throw in with my PS and BG. Does anybody know a fish farm that sells LES that ships to, or is in, Illinois?
Posted By: RC51 Re: Long Ears - 08/26/15 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice fish RC. Where do you think it came from (got there)?

http://www.web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/longearsun.html

Hey Eric I caught these on the bank of the White River it's about 2 miles from the pond. Fishing on the shore just for whatever and 5 or 6 of these guys showed up. They were such a good looking fish I had to keep them. I hope they show up again in my pond some day. I wonder what one of these guys and a RES would look like? At any rate if I get anything that I might think would be a cross mix with them I will post a pic!

RC
Posted By: stickem' Re: Long Ears - 08/26/15 05:56 PM
Very nice, RC51...we have a smaller native version here in Texas that is actually considered a sub-species of the LES. It is referred to as a "Dollar Sunfish". The ocular tab does not appear to be quite as long as the LES, and it has different colored markings on the black ocular tab as well...mine came in with the water...
Posted By: RC51 Re: Long Ears - 08/26/15 08:19 PM
Yeah I really like these guys? I need to do some more research on them. I don't know much. Are they aggressive or passive? How big can they really get if you feed them? Would they eat AQ? I bet I can catch a few in this one spot when ever I want to. So I may go back and get a few more if I can. I know they don't get real big but they sure are some cool looking fish!!

RC
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Long Ears - 08/26/15 08:35 PM
Here's a photo provided by BBG member Logan. There are no specs with the photo, but from what I can see the body dynamics are excellent. This is a beastly appearing LES.

© Pond Boss Forum