Pond Boss
Posted By: spazizz Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 06:29 AM
What are some of the smallest ponds you guys have seen? What fish were they stocked? Minnows? Perch? Brook trout maybe? I'm looking for some examples, pictures or links would be great. Also if you know how the pond/fish were managed I'd be interested in that. I think yellow perch would be the most successful.

If you want to know how small I'm talking about,

This is how small

Trout pond

Another tiny trout pond
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 08:57 AM
Tiny trout ponds are the easiest to keep trout in. Easier to keep a smaller pond cool enough in summer with either a well or spring. As the pond gets larger, it becomes difficult for the well or spring inflow to keep it cool enough.

A member who isn't active anymore had a small but very well managed pond in AZ if I recall correctly. If you're treating your fish more like pets, tiny ponds are great.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 12:48 PM
Ha- that's a funny photo, lots of people around such a small pond!!!

To add to CJ's, look into do searchs on here for trout and two other members- "Cecil Baird 1" and "small pond". Cecil has a lot of past posts on here with regards to raising trout, and small pond was a young man who dug his by hand.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

I'm thinking there was a lot of....."I think you crossed my line" conversations! grin
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 03:38 PM
For small ponds you need to match the fish with the water quality of the pond. Think about zoo systems, or displays as Cabelas. Some fish are more tolerant of reduced water quality. It only takes 10-30 minutes of bad water quality to kill all your fish.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: fish n chips

I'm thinking there was a lot of....."I think you crossed my line" conversations! grin

LOL - good one Bill.

How about, "You know your pond is small if when you fall in, and your head hits the other bank!"
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 05:08 PM
I think a little aquarium pond like that would be pretty cool. I'd like to do that if I ever build a new home at the land - waterfall and small pond, just for feeding and observing.
Posted By: snrub Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 05:15 PM
Here is a thread I started to keep track of specialty ponds that might have some useful information.

Not much information in the thread itself, but several links to other threads with information.

Specialty Ponds
Posted By: spazizz Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 05:15 PM
I own many indoor fish tanks african cichlids, planted tanks and saltwater. So I was just looking at this as another fish tank but BIGGER.

Ive read about Cecils ponds, he has some really fat fish.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Tiny pond ideas - 04/13/15 05:16 PM
This is a very interesting subject. Please share some examples of tiny ponds with us.
Posted By: spazizz Re: Tiny pond ideas - 05/11/15 03:00 AM
I added 6 bluegill and one crappie to my tiny pond. They will stay until I can find a source for yellow perch. Might add more crappie if I can catch more. Not sure if any of these fish will reproduce in such a small pond

Still would like to hear about other tiny ponds.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Tiny pond ideas - 05/11/15 03:10 AM
Originally Posted By: spazizz
I own many indoor fish tanks african cichlids, planted tanks and saltwater. So I was just looking at this as another fish tank but BIGGER.

Ive read about Cecils ponds, he has some really fat fish.

Love the African cichlids.iraised them for years in a 200 gallon aquarium. Fun to watch. I raised mostly the pseudotropheus family because of good behavior
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Tiny pond ideas - 05/11/15 10:05 AM
One consideration is water quality. Fish swim in their own toilet(Bill Cody).
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Tiny pond ideas - 05/11/15 11:32 AM
Originally Posted By: spazizz
I added 6 bluegill and one crappie to my tiny pond. They will stay until I can find a source for yellow perch. Might add more crappie if I can catch more. Not sure if any of these fish will reproduce in such a small pond

Still would like to hear about other tiny ponds.

SP,

FWIW If you look at some of the websites that sell pond kits, they show lots of small ponds. I like the ones where they use a fabric liner vs the precast ones. You can get more depth and be more flexible on the exact size you want.

Did you post a pic of your pond? I did not see it in the thread.

Bill D.
Posted By: keith_rowan Re: Tiny pond ideas - 05/19/15 07:56 PM
i'm using an 8' kiddie pool in my basement as a "pond" to raise yellow perch.. i can grow out about 150 at a time - right now it just has a bunch of rosy red minnows and crayfish... too busy for restocking
Posted By: Boburk Re: Tiny pond ideas - 06/24/15 09:37 PM
Man...those small ponds make my small pond look huge...

Sean
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Tiny pond ideas - 06/25/15 01:49 AM
I think TJ described a small pond the best..... grin

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
"You know your pond is small if when you fall in, and your head hits the other bank!"
© Pond Boss Forum