Pond Boss
Posted By: Snakebite Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 01:26 AM
As I`m sitting with a blank sheet of paper wondering how to build/dig/aerate/fish/plants/etc..etc.. Had a friend bring up a interesting question. As I live near Memphis TN most year it`s humid and more humid. temps range from 97 average to 34 with a few days of 20`s. What helps keep the fish happy and alive year around? depth? Building multiple ponds 2 acres - .20 acres.

Coppernose Bullgill
Florida Bass/F1
Hybrid Striped Bass
Blue Cat
Channel cat
Blue/Channel Hybrid
Flathead Catfish
Flathead Minnow
Golden Shiners
Threadfin Shad
Gizzard Shad
Tilapia

Thanks Much Torey
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 01:47 AM
Your water temps will be okay for all species listed, although you might want to rethink the F1 bass, flathead and blue cats. Over time 8-10 years about all you could have in the larger pond is blues and flatheads. Big flatheads can eat the 16"-19" LMB and your largest BG.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 01:57 AM
thanks for the input Bill, plan on having a blue/flathead pond by itself with Gizzard Shad, Shiners, a few bluegills a week and feed. What`s wrong with the F1 bass? Will depth play any role on keeping temps up all year long?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 02:46 PM
Nothing wrong with F1 bass if not flatheads are in the pond.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 03:07 PM
What helps keep the fish happy and alive year around? depth?

Water quality/aeration is much more important than depth....
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 03:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
What helps keep the fish happy and alive year around? depth? Water quality/aeration is much more important than depth....

Dammit, I was gonna answer sex, drugs and Rock & Roll.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Pond Depth for Fish Species ? - 06/08/13 08:27 PM
Haha. Right on Jeff. Any helpful advice on keeping water temp up in colder months?
© Pond Boss Forum