Pond Boss
Posted By: Twam911 Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/12/13 12:19 AM
Has anyone tried these fish in their pond? We have a 1.5 acre pond 17 feet deep. It is a new pond and we are just starting to stock it. We have put in 15 gallons of FHM and 200 BG. We waited 2-3 weeks then added another 40 bigger BG waited another week and added 50 more adult BG.
My partner in crime wants to put in hybrid channel cats and Im not sure what to think. Dont they get pretty big and wont they make quick work of the BG we have put in?
In 2 more weeks we are adding another 500 BG and 100 LMB that are 6 inches. and another 15 gallon FHM.
Thoughts on hybrid channel cats?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/12/13 01:45 AM
Twam...The hybrid catfish are used in the food fish industry for faster, more uniform growth. I am not sure just how big they will get, but I would presume well over 15 pounds in several years.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/12/13 02:08 AM
Hopefully somebody can provide better guidance. I just don't remember anything significant about them here on the site.

What little I do know about them is that when fed properly, the Channel x Blue hybrids grow considerably faster than regular channel cats.

Depending on your goals, that could be good or bad. I love channel cats, but they require a lot of management in a bass/bluegill pond that is not drained and seined on a schedule. My feeling is that because of the potential hybrid growth rate, they will cause more problems than straight channel cats. -- unless you really keep after them. Catfish are voracious top line predators and serious fish food addicts.

Whatever you decide on, just don't overstock more than you figure you can remove the following season. IMO, it is best to stock small quantities of cats each season -- just make sure they don't stay in the pond beyond a few seasons.
Posted By: Patrick C. Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/30/13 09:18 PM
Hey I too have considered the hybrid catfish from what I can tell there a lot like bluecat with hybrid vigor so they probably get very big quick but if there Luke the bluecat then they would be a apex predator that would almost certainly compete with your bass. I'm going to sock about 25 in my pond so to hlp control the HBG offspring since I'm not stocking bass.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/30/13 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Patrick C.
Hey I too have considered the hybrid catfish from what I can tell there a lot like bluecat with hybrid vigor so they probably get very big quick but if there Luke the bluecat then they would be a apex predator that would almost certainly compete with your bass. I'm going to sock about 25 in my pond so to hlp control the HBG offspring since I'm not stocking bass.

Will there be any other predators stocked besides the catfish?
Posted By: Patrick C. Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/30/13 11:49 PM
Yes channel cat and that's it
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/31/13 01:49 AM
It will be interesting to see if the catfish alone are able to control the HBG recruitment, especially in the presence of FHM, and supplemental feeding.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/31/13 02:13 AM
I'm thinking that my non-hybrid catfish are not going to control my HBG offspring. The pond that the HBG and CC are in, has gazillions of FHMs and Rosey Reds, maybe even more. I also feed pretty heavily in that pond. The catfish I put in last year are now 12-14 inches. At feeding time I'm seeing HBG that appear to be 6-7 inches, so they will probably be spawning, if not already doing so. I added another 25 5-8 inch CC yesterday, along with another 150 2-4 inch HBG. I'm sure I'll have to add some better predators this fall -- probably HSB if I can find a somewhat local source.
Posted By: Patrick C. Re: Hybrid Channel Catfish? - 05/31/13 04:44 AM
I agree with the both of you guys but I'm hopping my 2 HBG to 1 CC stocking ratio will help in keeping he offspring in check that and maybe some hybrid catfish will do th trick. The HCC(Hybrid channel cat) are advertised to be faster growing and great predators but that info is all just what the hactery says I won't know it to be true tell I try them for myself. I hope the HCC can do the job bc I don't want to put bass in bc they will make it harder to stock my fingerling CC and HBG when I restock the pond, and I'm just not a big bass guy.
© Pond Boss Forum