Pond Boss
Posted By: dano8696 Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/20/13 03:32 PM
Was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting rid of snappers? We drained and dredged a 3/4 acre pond last fall - and removed two large snappers.... The pond has since refilled, I would assume that if we removed two of them, there maybe a few still that are left.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/20/13 03:46 PM
Why do you want to remove them?
Posted By: R&R Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/20/13 06:29 PM
They are pretty easy to set a trap for if you decide you want to try it. Let me know I'll PM you a drawing of a homade trap thats easy to make. Icaught 6 in 3 days on my 3/4 ac. Pond The biggest was 16lbs.

But Like Omaha said they really dont cause a problem. My wife just thought we had too many.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/20/13 06:48 PM
I heard on the forums that a Porta-Potty makes a pretty good snapper trap.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/20/13 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Documented and photographed fact I do believe.
Posted By: esshup Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/21/13 02:04 AM
So does a Fyke Net. Caught over 100# of them in one set on a pond. It was interesting removing them from the trap, along with the fish - they were still alive and there was so much weight in the net that it couldn't be lifted from the water.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/21/13 02:52 AM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
Originally Posted By: Bocomo

Documented and photographed fact I do believe.

Yup. And, I even took the episode photos. After quite a rant of expletives by the property owner, directed at some of my neighborhood friends, the turtle found a sympathetic lawyer who got him released on his own recognizance.

Anyway, I too question why you might want to evict a snapper. We get a number of them each year as they pass by. They are quite transient, with most staying less than a few weeks. They do a good job of cleaning up nasty stuff around the pond. Their hissing may sound vicious, and they may look threatening, but in my more than 65 years on this earth, I've never known anyone to be attacked by one. If you get one and put it in the trunk of your car, it will pee a lot, and make the car rather undesirable smelling. Taunting one with an outstretched finger can be unpleasant, and grabbing one incorrectly can result in some rather unfortunate scratches. Other than that, they are actually pretty neat to have around the pond.

If all else fails, they are delicious if you let them clean themselves out in a large freshwater tank for a few days, Just make sure you 'dispatch' them properly.
Posted By: R&R Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 03/21/13 11:14 AM
http://youtu.be/RZYdqMr1znM

Send them to "Snapperfest" if you catch any.(Above)
Posted By: dano8696 Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/10/13 12:42 PM
I'm concerned with them eating the trout that I stocked - is there any way to fishing for them with a hook and line?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/10/13 02:30 PM
Sure....I use bank lines (very stout line with doubled up steel leaders) tied to tree limbs or attached to stakes driven in the ground. I've also caught them on jugs. A snapper will usually come to shore after being hooked awhile, and that affords them better leverage while trying to pull the hook out. Stout line, and strong hooks are required.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/10/13 06:19 PM
They don't eat trucks your good..
Posted By: dano8696 Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/10/13 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
They don't eat trucks your good..

I meant to say trout, lol
Posted By: CoachB Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/10/13 10:50 PM
If they are able to catch a fish, the fish was dying. Snappers do not catch healthy fish. I have a couple in my pond and they help keep it clean. They do not bother my dogs or kids. They are terrified of humans. the only problem is if they are on land.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/10/13 11:12 PM
Right on Coach. They are the buzzards of the pond and provide a vital function.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/11/13 01:24 AM
I actually bring them home to my pond. Brought this guy to his new home today..

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/11/13 03:22 AM
I don't catch them because I feel they're detrimental to our ponds.....we eat em'!!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Getting Rid of Snapping Turtles - 05/11/13 05:21 AM
Didn't Steve Martin do a skit about turtles on Saturday Night Live years ago???
© Pond Boss Forum