Pond Boss
Posted By: Kiko Chain Pickerel & a bright green leech ! - 07/14/12 12:35 PM
I caught this guy in a dip net while catching bream below the dam pipe in 3" of water. Evidently, a native to the creek that was dammed up. The state record is ~6lbs.

Are they aggressive eaters that will ruin my bass/bream population? Anything like a N. Pike?

Also in the same dip net there was a green leech! Sorry, no pic, but as leech is a leech and not very photogenic. Never seen nor realized these were in SC waters. Somebody please tell me they will be exterminated by the bream, bass , and catfish!?!?!?

Attached picture WP_000288.jpg
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Chain Pickerel & a bright green leech ! - 07/15/12 04:11 AM
Kiko, CP are much like NP in the way they feed. However, because they averag 14"-18" and generally top out around 24" they don't get so huge like NP where they are eating the same panfish you'd like to be eating. It's been my experience that they often have a hard time competing with LMB in smaller ponds, especially those with few weeds for cover. They have no spines and are very fusiform making them easy to prey on by LMB. I have never seen them get out of control in ponds. They usually stay present in low numbers and act as a bonus fish when in competition with bass. They can however directly compete with LMB for resources. They could act as an additional predator on smaller bass helping to keep LMB numbers under control.
And don't worry about the leech. Fish love to eat them.
© Pond Boss Forum