Pond Boss
Posted By: rossgoose BG stocking rates and timing. - 06/10/12 10:55 PM
My southern KS pond has refilled and the fish farm finally had time to stock some FHM this week. My question is when to stock the BG and RES and at what rate. Any advantage to stocking them this fall or wait until next spring? Would they pull off a spawn if I put in 4-6 inch fish in Sept? I've read the stocking rate of 800-1000 per acre of fingerlings but have seen conflicting recommendations of anywhere from 75/acre to half of the fingerling rate if I put in 4-6" fish. I plan on stocking LMB (size?) when appropriate. The goal of the pond is primarily for quality LMB fishing. Recommendations?
Thanks!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: BG stocking rates and timing. - 06/10/12 11:01 PM
If you stock 4"-6" BG-RES now you should see a spawn this year 2012 maybe Jul-Aug. 300-500/acre would be plenty to get a good spawn this year; 200/ac of BG/RES could even work.
Posted By: rossgoose Re: BG stocking rates and timing. - 06/10/12 11:07 PM
Bill,
Any need to allow the FHM to increase in numbers first? Or I can stock the 4-6" fish ASAP?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: BG stocking rates and timing. - 06/11/12 03:09 AM
You can add FHM along with the 4"-6" BG. Bg will feed primarily on invertebrates and FHM will feed on other smaller things. BG will maybe eat some FHM but it will insignificant compared to what the FHM will produce.
© Pond Boss Forum