Pond Boss
Posted By: Skinnerback Bass & Catfish in a small pond..... - 03/02/12 03:42 AM
Planning on digging a 1 to 1.5 acre pond, aerated/fish feeder/water fed from water well....if that matters. Was wondering how successful I would be stocking LMB & hybrid catfish together in a small pond like this. Planning on feeding pellets & also stocking forage fish but curious how both will make out competing for food? Please advise......
Posted By: bugsbunny Re: Bass & Catfish in a small pond..... - 03/02/12 04:46 AM
I think that both species can exist in a pond that size. You will need an extensive food chain for the bass, which the catfish will also use. This will almost definitely require bluegill. You may have a hard time getting the bass to accept pellets, but catfish will almost always eat them readily. The catfish will probably be a put and take thing, as they will not reproduce in most ponds.

All I can say is good luck.
Posted By: esshup Re: Bass & Catfish in a small pond..... - 03/02/12 05:18 AM
Since you're in Texas, I'd look into stocking CNBG (Coppernose Bluegills).

What species is the hybrid catfish derived from? What is the purpose of the hybridization?
Posted By: Skinnerback Re: Bass & Catfish in a small pond..... - 03/02/12 12:39 PM
[quote=esshup]Since you're in Texas, I'd look into stocking CNBG (Coppernose Bluegills).

What species is the hybrid catfish derived from? What is the purpose of the hybridization? [/quote

The hybrids I was looking at are a cross between a blue & channel cat. They are supposed to be less prone to disease, grow at a faster rate, have a little more meat on the bone, & be a little more aggressive. At least that's what they say.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Bass & Catfish in a small pond..... - 03/02/12 11:20 PM
I would like to hear more about the hybrid Cats, please let me know what sizes they come in and where you can get some.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Bass & Catfish in a small pond..... - 03/03/12 02:20 AM
They're becoming more common in aquaculture, but from what I have read there isn't much if any advantage to them for what most pond owners are looking for from catfish in their ponds.
© Pond Boss Forum