Pond Boss
Posted By: 007 trout man conditions fit for trout? - 04/30/11 01:13 AM
hey, there. i was building a pond and was wondering, my pond is about 4-5 ft, with a new water cooler, reduces water temps to what a spring would produce, i had a trout pond before, and i brought one in that was sick and well they all died. cry so i'm hoping this one will do better, i live in central pa, highest temp in summer is about 85-90. the pond will get about 4 hours of sunlight, any other comments or suggestions? i'm a novice so i need help!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: conditions fit for trout? - 04/30/11 04:07 AM
Welcome to the forum! How many trout are you planning to put in how large of a pond? The big things to watch are temp, and dissolved O2.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: conditions fit for trout? - 04/30/11 12:03 PM
What county is Longfellow, PA in? Not recognizing the town...

I am sorta lost with your post, but maybe it's that I worked last night and am just too tired to read straight... So, how big and deep is this pond you are building, or is it already built? Is there a spring that feeds it and if so, how many gallon per minute does it produce?
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: conditions fit for trout? - 04/30/11 12:54 PM
Trout man welcome to the forum, I'm also a little confused, more info on the pond, the cooler, and what kind of trout you have.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: conditions fit for trout? - 04/30/11 01:59 PM
007 troutman,

If your pond has water in the 55 to 65 F range (no higher than 68 F. with ample oxygen throughout the summer you shouldn't have any problems keeping trout year around. Anything else and you will have problems.

If your pond is at the top of that range brown trout will do the best.

Posted By: 007 trout man Re: conditions fit for trout? - 04/30/11 05:09 PM
ok, sorry about the confusion, out in the weather all day and i was pretty beat, and its in mifflin co. its the smallest town imaginable.the pond is small, dont know the exact dimensions, all i know is that the one i had last time was really small, 25Lx10Wx3.5D!!!!, it it held 30 trout, excpept a wild one brought in some kind of fungus and killed them all it lasted until june.ok know to my pond, dont know how wide or long,but its about 5-6 ft deep, with a pump to a water chiller which takes the water from 70 to about 50, i would like to put some browns or rainbows in there. no spring but have a deep well to top it off every so often, in this one i was thinkin about putting about 30-40 bigger fish in there.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: conditions fit for trout? - 05/18/11 10:58 AM
does it freeze there?? i would think some thing a little deeper in PA my work better, for both the winter and regulating water tempurature??
© Pond Boss Forum