Pond Boss
Posted By: L.W.J 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/19/10 06:06 PM
Is there a Market out there for Bass 10LBS and over? would fellow pond owners buy bass of that size to diversify there genetics? If so, what would be a fair price for for such a fish.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/19/10 06:24 PM
$1 a piece and I'll take some
Posted By: Omaha Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/19/10 06:37 PM
I would think the chances of a fish of that size living through a transfer would be very slim.
Posted By: esshup Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/19/10 11:35 PM
I think Dwight would be interested........ wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/19/10 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
I think Dwight would be interested........ wink

He's going the lead sinker approach. He won't need it. grin
Posted By: txelen Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/20/10 12:09 AM
Moving a fish that large around is tough. You might be better off using them as broodstock and selling the offspring at 10" or so, especially if you could feed-train them.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/20/10 01:19 AM
If you could guarantee live arrival, I am betting there would be a market... People like cheap and easy solutions, however this won't be cheap, just an easy way to have 10 pound bass in your pond.
Posted By: Rainman Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/20/10 01:29 AM
The hauling and transfer would be easier than most smaller fish, but like others have said here, the chances of the fish living and continuing to thrive in a new pond are very slim.

Large fish learn how to hunt in the ecosytem they grew in. Changing that enviornment often renders them helpless to successfully hunt and eventually starving to death.

10 pound plus LMB sell for tens of thousands of dollars! Double digit LMB example

Posted By: esshup Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/20/10 04:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
10 pound plus LMB sell for tens of thousands of dollars! Double digit LMB example

Rex:

I believe you should say they are advertised for tens of thousands - who in their right mind would pay $10 for a fingerling? That alone tells me that their pricing is way on the end of the bell curve.
Posted By: JKB Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/20/10 04:49 AM
You can find almost anything on the internet, and virtually, it will be for sale!

10K for an LMB... That is nuts!...

But, then again, we live in a world of nut's!!!

So, make your sunshine happen!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/22/10 12:41 PM
L.W.J., I agree with Rex (Rainman). The odds of a huge fish doing well in a new environment are pretty poor.

However, they might do well for the taxidermy business.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/23/10 09:16 PM
To answer your questiosn yes there is a market. High demand and VERY limited supply. Most fish farmers will tell you to grow bass to that size would break the bank. Legally where are the bass coming from? I get $30/lb for any bass over 7 lbs. and for 10 lb bass I bet I could get $1000 easy. No many folks have the backing to do this but then again nto many like that available every year anyways. I would only risk transport of such a fish in cool season.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: 10+LB Bass Market???? - 11/24/10 12:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
L.W.J., I agree with Rex (Rainman). The odds of a huge fish doing well in a new environment are pretty poor.

However, they might do well for the taxidermy business.

I once got a hold of a bunch of 4 to 8 lb. bass from a 35 acre lake that had been drained, which is one of two that supplies water to about 200 goldfish ponds. The manager and I agreed to split the profit 50/50. I sold one 8 pound plus fish for $250.00 if i remember right. It was molded for a reproduction. The rest were sold to taxidermists.
© Pond Boss Forum