Pond Boss
Hey

Anybody have any idea which species this is? I am in SE Mississippi.

Thanks

Longear
And a purdy one at that!
Thanks for the comments. If this is indeed a Longear, it is a potential MS record. The record is 0.14lbs and this one weighed 3oz (0.1875lbs) on my digital scales.
What a specimen! I just don't know why everyone sticks with BG/RES ponds and up north maybe PSS. With pretty fish like LES and RBS to add, you'd think people would stock at least a small percentage of them into their ponds.
Boy that is a dandy! I would be honored to have such a handsome fish in my pond, The kids would sure love to show off its beauty.
Then again, where do you source RBS and LES? Only a couple hatcheries sell RBS and I know of none that sell LES...
This fish was caught out of a small creek. I caught 2 more that were alot smaller but same colors as this one. I was considering putting the fish in my small "goldfish pond" at my house, but it jumped out of the bucket that I had it in. I even had a top on the bucket but it wasn't latched. It's in the freezer now. I may go back tomorrow. If I do, I will take more pics. I also caught several small bass up to about half pound. I think they were spots.
Looks like a longear to me. I'd say contact a state wildlife agent and see if you can get the catch certified. Did you weigh it on a certified scale with a witness?
cj yes you answered your own question, avaialbility of other species is limited due to demand. I did recently find a source of bullhead catfish. THought that was rather strange but neat.

stumpy, we hit a couple ponds a year where we get some longear. Usually good size creek entering the pond.
Greg, what size fish do you usually see? How big do they get? Do the GA longears look similar to this one, i know there is alot of variance in this species?
1/4 lb is a big one. Yes look similiar actually.
Longear(LES) and Redbreast(RBS) are both basically stream species, that although preferring streams can survive in ponds. They are very closely related. Both reach a maximum size of about 12" with 10" being like a 12" BG, not very common! I would say the average size for both species is around 5"-6", with 8" being large. As I recall correctly there are as many as 6 different subspecies of LES. The northern LES subspecies doesn't reach as large a size as the other subspecies and some scientists feel it is a distinct species. Each subspecies has unique coloration and some are considered prettier than others. Perhaps a specialty market will emerge as more pond owners become aware of species other than BG and RES...

Greg, Zetts Tri State fish hatchery in WV sells brown bullheads. I am not sure if that is the source you found. They are the only one I know of.
Yes, I have looked all over the east coast and still hav enot found a source for LES, I would love to get some for my pond, and hate the thought of robbing local streams for them.
If anyone knows where to get some, please let me know!!

Salmonid
LES are not a rare species... Collecting a couple dozen from the wild would not cause any issues,
Definitely a les. They don't get big and are rarely submitted for the record books when a large one is caught. They don't get big so not much interest. I catch them in Coles Creek as the primary fish in the creek. Lots of them there and in Louisiana. Don't see and issue with catching some wild ones and stocking your pond with them.
Longears are fun to catch IMO. The size I would think is the main factor. If they grew larger I think someone would like to try to raise them. I have considered trying to catch 50-100 in the wild and putting them in one of my small ponds that should not have many if any predators in it just to see if they would take and what kind of numbers they have compared to BG.

I have stocked 2 in my pond. I started with just 1 as he was a pet for a while but way too aggressive for the other tank mates.

I will be curious to see if I ever catch or see them again, but if they take to the feed it may be a nice size one some day.

I may put some more in later, but I figure they would just cross with the BG or GSF making even smaller hybrids.

Will keep everyone posted though.
I put Longear Sunfish in my 5 acre pond in north central Kansas (76 of them). I also put 12 Orange Spotted sunfish in the Pond.

2020 Pond Construction. Sunfish were stocked at roughly same time as my Golden Shiners, Fatheads, Bluegills, and Redears (spring 2021). They are both doing well. Longears make up of about 2-4 percent of my panfish catch. Reproduction seems good. The Orange-spotted sunfish population blew up quick but seems to be controlled by the Walleye and Saugeye.

I love Longears in my pond and people love to catch em (they are beautiful). They were sourced out of a small Flint Hills Creek.

Now if I can knock back my Green sunfish and Bulheads (that flowed in early) I will be happy.
Everything seems to be pretty good as far as year 3.

My pond goal is a Diverse Northern Style pond (NO LMB). I - 70 Corridor

YP, SMB, Saugeye, WE, BG, RES, LES, OSS, CC(albino)
BNM, FHM, BNM, RSH, GSH, GAM
© Pond Boss Forum