Pond Boss
Posted By: Chad C Forage Fish - 01/04/06 05:19 AM
I've got about a 3 acre tank out at my ranch that is already stocked with catfish, but I am wanting to build up the forage fish population before I add bass. How many lbs per acre of what species would ya'll recomend?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Forage Fish - 01/04/06 12:44 PM
The "normal" recommended stocking rate is 1,000 bluegill and redears per acre with 80% bluegill. Also, add about 5 lbs. of fathead minnows per acre. This is for a new water hole. I'll assume that some forage already exists since you say you want to "build up" the forage base. A lot
depends on the status of that existing base. You haven't said what else may be in the water or the history/age/water quality/depth of the tank.

I'm assuming a lot here but, since this is your best shot before adding bass to an existing population of catfish and other available forage, I would probably use those numbers. Small stocker fish are inexpensive.
Posted By: Ross Baker Re: Forage Fish - 01/04/06 11:11 PM
Did you clone yourself Dave? ;\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Forage Fish - 01/05/06 12:10 AM
Ross, I have a computer at work and the one here at home. The changes to PB forced me to Login but when I tried, it said that Login ID was already taken. So, I added 1 to the end for the one at home.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Forage Fish - 01/05/06 12:55 AM
Which one of you is the evil twin with the moustache? \:D
Posted By: Chad C Re: Forage Fish - 01/05/06 01:51 AM
Dave,

The tank was originally stocked in 1976 with CC and minnows (not sure what species), I have seen some Blue Gill in there. That is all the history of the tank that I know of because my family bought the land about 4 years ago. The tank is spring fed, but it is shallow with 8' being the deepest that I know of. There are no bass that I know of in the tank.

Last year we had the tank flood over into a natural spillway (which we have since blocked off), and lost probably 80% of the forage fish in the tank so I'm just trying to get the forage population back up to where it was before I advance in stocking Largemouth.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Forage Fish - 01/05/06 03:29 AM
Chad, you may not have lost as many forage fish as you think. They usually go upstream in a flood or overflow. That said, I would go ahead and load up with bluegills and fatheads. Once bass get started, it's tough to add forage without losing a whole bunch of them to predation. At 2 to 3 inches long and a cost of 25 to 35 cents each for bluegill, they can be pretty cheap insurance. Fatheads are generally about 7 or 8 bucks per pound. They usually run about 350 fish per pound. Both species are extremely prolific. Expect to lose some of each to cats.

Theo, you must mean brother Fu.
© Pond Boss Forum