Pond Boss
Posted By: Blackjack White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/21/05 08:07 AM
I don't have white cats in my area, my only experience is with channels. The thing that bothers me about channels in a pond is that I like an "ultralight" fishing experience, catching 1 to 3 pound fish all day keeps me happy. A 6 to 10 pound channel cat on light tackle just don't work too well \:\)

Would White cats be a good (smaller) alternative? Do they taste the same? are there any concerns about predation, overpopulation, or competition with other species?

Thanks
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/21/05 02:36 PM
BJ,

The only white cats in our area I've ever seen or heard of is the occasional albino channel cat.

I'd like to pose an answer to your question from a slightly different angle....how about if you could get a great eating, great fighting beautiful fish that never overpopulates and is absolutely a blast on light tackle? The fish I speak of is the hybrid striped bass (HSB). I have had them for going on four growing seasons now and have only glowing comments to say about them.

I love to fly fish and a 3 to 4 pound HSB on a 5 wt is an absolute blast, unequaled in pond fishing, in my opinion.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/21/05 09:35 PM
I would not suggest sotkcing white cats. They are slow growing but will take up food intended for other fish, not a good option IMHO. ML has a good suggestion for you to try.
Posted By: Blackjack Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/21/05 09:48 PM
The white cats I refer to are actually a different species (Ameiurus catus) from channel cats (Ictalarus Punctatus)altogether. I know they don't get as big, but I've never actually caught, seen, or eaten any.
Posted By: Blackjack Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/21/05 09:56 PM
So Meadowlark, I've thought of HSB for a pond often, but I thought they would get too big. 3 to 4 pounders would be cool though. Is that the general size of your 4 year olds now?

I have done a lot of white bass (not hybrid) fishing and they are a wonderful little fish imho.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/21/05 10:30 PM
Yes that is the general size of the 4's. I stock every spring and fall so I also have 3's, 2's etc.

Not sure how large they will get eventually in this pond, but "too big" isn't a concern to me...as long as they will attack a fly, I'm happy.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/22/05 04:14 PM
Bjack - When buying white catfish in the midwest US be careful what you are getting. Every white catfish that I've seen so far in the midwest are albino channel catfish (red/pink eyes). Who is selling the white catfish that you are referring to? The white catfish (albino channels) that I have experience with get quite large (30"-36") and grow fairly fast depending on food amounts.
Posted By: Blackjack Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/23/05 01:29 PM
Bill, just learning and planning... not buying. I'm familiar with albino channels, I was referring to the species "white catfish" (Ameiurus catus)and they don't have pink eyes \:\) I appreciate you looking out for the newbie though \:\)

I actually caught an albino in "the wild" once when I was a kid... boy was I excited! Still got the pictures \:\)
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 12/23/05 09:40 PM
Bjack- Okay about learning and planning about the white cats (A. catus). I am curious about where you you are thinking of getting your fish for stocking. I am at a remote location during the holidays and away from my reference material, so I cannot provide very much backgound info on A.catus.
Posted By: Allchca Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 01/05/06 08:26 PM
http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/white.html
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/fishing/virginia_fishes/catfish.html (bottom of page)
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/pafish/fishhtms/chap13.htm

They supposably don't get as big as CC and they can spawn in lakes and ponds on gravel. I've read somewhere that overpopulation is a slight problem with them.

I considered them too several years ago. Forked tail like a channel but has better spawning success like bullheads. A mixture between the sizes I think.
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: White vs. Channel Catfish - 01/06/06 01:58 AM
In addition to having a smaller sized "channel catfish", white catfish offer the possibility of a state or even a world record.
© Pond Boss Forum