Pond Boss
Posted By: scott69 cold weather stocking - 02/05/09 10:14 PM
i stocked my tiger bass yesterday, it's cold here in alabama!! it is about 30 hours later and most of them have not swam away yet. they are just lying on the bottom. some are even on their side. i did everything they said as far as acclimating them to the pond temp. i think my pond was way colder than the water in the bag. american sportfish said they would replace the dead ones.
Posted By: ewest Re: cold weather stocking - 02/06/09 12:18 AM
That sounds like dead fish. Take a stick and slowly move it in front of the fish. If they don't move you have a problem.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: cold weather stocking - 02/06/09 12:27 AM
Sorry to say but it doesn't sound good... It can be tough to acclimate a fish from extremely different water temps. Might have to wait until the weather breaks before you try stocking again.
Posted By: scott69 Re: cold weather stocking - 02/06/09 01:08 AM
i can push them around with a stick and they just barely move. we saw a few that looked dead and pulled one of them out with a stick. my friend wanted to look at it so i held him for a minute, suddenly he started moving. it was weird. we put him back, but he was on his side. i feel like all of them will die.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: cold weather stocking - 02/06/09 02:20 AM
That's a shame, you may be getting a refund for all of them...
Posted By: Gambusia Re: cold weather stocking - 02/08/09 02:27 AM
Coldwater shock
Posted By: scott69 Re: cold weather stocking - 02/27/09 01:10 PM
american sportfish replaced all the fish. we put them in wednesday and they all did great. fish were a little bigger this time.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: cold weather stocking - 02/28/09 04:05 AM
Good deal, I hope they grow nice and large for ya!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: cold weather stocking - 02/28/09 04:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: scott69
american sportfish replaced all the fish. we put them in wednesday and they all did great. fish were a little bigger this time.

Wow, now that's a company standing behind their product. Good for you Scott.
Posted By: chadwickz71 Re: cold weather stocking - 03/01/09 12:06 AM
I bought some Triploid carp and had delivered to my pond here in Texas on christmas. very cold...

Todd overton had them "slowed down" with clove oil and some other chemical which I forgot. It basically makes them look almost lifeless untill they are put in regular pond water again. They layed on the bottom for 15-30minutes then slowly they started turning up and slowly swimming away. supposedly whatever the clove oil does wheres off pretty fast once they are in regular water again.

Anyways, doesn't have anything to do with your situation, but it was a new experience for us because they looked dead.

It just makes them alot easier to handle, especially with catfish.

If you'd have said 15-30minutes it would have been different. 30 hours is bad.

glad you came out good though.
© Pond Boss Forum