Pond Boss
Posted By: jakeb CNBG question - 12/19/08 01:50 AM
Ok guys I live just north of Wichita Falls, TX. About 5 miles into Oklahoma, and im thinking of stocking my new pond with Florida CNBG, I was wondering if I should worry about the overwintering. To give you an Idea of my temps, I plan on haveing Tshad that die at 42F and plan on them living 4 of 5 winters. We hardly every see ANY ice on the ponds around here if that makes a difference..I wanted to stock nothing but florida strain CNBG simply becuase I want to.

Do pure florida CNBG follow the same temp range of florida bass?
Do you guys think I need something besides pure Florida CNBG to ensure my forage base does not die during a bad winter?

Ideally I would like only Florida CNBG

option 2: Florida CNBG with Arkansas strain CNBG
option 3: Florida CNBG with native BG

It probably doesnt make that much difference in the grand scheme. My goal is large bass, but I would like the chance of catching some big BG near the feeder.

Once again I want Florida CNBG pretty much for that reason (the wanting)

Thanks for the help,
Jake B
Posted By: jakeb Re: CNBG question - 12/19/08 04:44 AM
I have looked through the archives to save ewest or some of the others some time when they come to set me straight.

I found coppernose do have the same range as florida bass
So I think they will be fine as the only bluegill forage in my pond??
And also based on what I have learned I need them to have 12 soft anal fin rays, and from what I can tell the white edges on the fins to indicate fla strain?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: CNBG question - 12/19/08 01:23 PM
I like the idea of what's behind Door #3. But then, I'm a huge fan of native BG. However, I think the Floridas should survive OK. What I don't know is whether pure Florida CNBG will delay spawning until warmer water temps than an Arkansas CNBG will.
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG question - 12/19/08 02:34 PM
All CNBG should have the same general look (there is some variation). Some of us based on experience think the Ark strain has adapted a little (look a little different and possibly more cold tolerant)although there is no scientifically reviewed proof. IMO CNBG have a bit farther north range than Fla LMB but not a lot. Keep in mind that if you get CNBG that look Floridaish from a Texas supplier with fish that have been in Texas for a few years they may be more like Ark strain via adaptation. There is a whole lot we don't know about the CNBG subject - very few studies with peer reviewed data.
Posted By: jakeb Re: CNBG question - 12/19/08 06:56 PM
Can anyone answer me this?
In a pond with native BG and CNBG would they interbreed freely? or as long as there were sufficient mates, would they stay segregated?
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG question - 12/19/08 08:44 PM
IMO , based on observation at the ponds , they will integrate. I have also seen the CNBG engage in solitary nesting with regular BG females. I have not seen what I thought were segregated colonies but it is possible.
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: CNBG question - 12/20/08 05:54 AM
I wrote out a post for this thread last night and swore that I submitted it but here I am again. I thought maybe it had been moderated, but can't imagine why it might have been.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I have some of my coppernose strain bluegill at that latitude in several clients' ponds in Montague county and surrounding area and they appear to have faired the winters there for the last 4 years.

Here is a link where you can view some of our broodstock and fingerlings:

Overton's OTS strain coppernose bluegill
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: CNBG question - 12/20/08 01:55 PM
Todd, what does the OTS mean? Are they originally Florida or? Have you determined whether they spawn concurrently with BG or later?
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG question - 12/20/08 02:11 PM
Dave see this http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthread...true#Post139230
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: CNBG question - 12/20/08 03:19 PM
Thanks Eric. I see. It's a trade name given by that old guy. You know; my buddy the Geezer.
Posted By: george1 Re: CNBG question - 12/20/08 05:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Thanks Eric. I see. It's a trade name given by that old guy. You know; my buddy the Geezer.
Naw, that was Eric’s suggested name because I have the babies from that brood stock and Eric has the grand babies Maybe I was an accomplice ...
My original suggestion was OSS (Overton Super Strain) but Theo vetoed by prior OSS acronym (OSS = orangespotted sunfish) .. \:\(

We could have used MP CNBG (Mojo Primo) due to my original daddies .. \:\/
Now Dave, you be good now – Santa’s watching – you know, naughty and nice ... \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: CNBG question - 12/20/08 10:15 PM
Dave you can blame me - but they are very nice CNBG. Of note to this thread those fish are still eating pellets in the one pond with a feeder up and running. Water temps are about 48-50 F.
© Pond Boss Forum