Pond Boss
Posted By: Spencer Google-eye - 06/02/05 05:40 PM
I have a 3/4 acre pond and i put about 8 nice size google eye. I live in Southern Louisiana.Was this a good idea?
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Google-eye - 06/02/05 05:45 PM
Depends on what you want from your pond...if you want thousands and thousands of little green sunfish, then you have a winner!
Posted By: bobad Re: Google-eye - 06/02/05 07:03 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Spencer:
I have a 3/4 acre pond and i put about 8 nice size google eye. I live in Southern Louisiana.Was this a good idea?
Not unless you really like goggle eye. I don't!
Posted By: Gumboot Re: Google-eye - 06/02/05 07:29 PM
Spencer, not sure what other fish you have in your pond. In spite of what Larry (a.k.a. double breasted tilapia) has to say, I don't believe your google eye, rock bass, warmouth will revert to green sunfish. Also I don't believe they will be that beneficial addition to your pond diversity, google eye tend to inhabit running water, don't believe they do well in pond enviroment, especially if forced to compete with bass and bluegill.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Google-eye - 06/02/05 07:34 PM
Uhh, Gumboot...you may want to check this link

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/species/sunfish/grn.phtml
Posted By: Gumboot Re: Google-eye - 06/02/05 07:41 PM
ML,

Here's what we called a google eye where I grew up.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/species/sunfish/war.phtml
Posted By: Norm Kopecky Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 12:17 AM
This goes to show how important it is to accurately identify fish species and then to use the proper common name. Everyone on this forum will try to help you but we might give you very bad advise just because we're talking about the wrong species of fish.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 01:15 AM
When I was little, one of the songs my Grandmother used to sing to me was about "Barney Google, with the goo-goo-googly eyes." I never knew he had a pond! \:\)
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 01:37 AM
Spencer,

I'm curious now....was it a warmouth or a green sunfish? I'm betting on a green sunfish because I haven't seen any warmouth this far south...but you could have caught them in northern Louisiana I suppose.

And Gumboot I grew up in Missouri and we called the green sunfish a goggle-eye, but I also agree the warmouth has also been called that...we always knew that people in Kansas were confused \:\)
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 04:23 AM
ML, St. Mary Parish borders the Gulf, and you can imagine my disappointment when one of the first fish caught in my pond was a warmouth. They're here. As if that wasn't bad enough, a green sunfish was caught a few minutes later.
Posted By: h20fwlkillr Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 07:21 AM
According to the MDC a "goggle eye" is better known as a rock bass.
Posted By: bobad Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 12:18 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Gumboot:
[QB]ML, Here's what we called a google eye where I grew up.
That's what we call a goggle-eye here in LA
Posted By: Spencer Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 01:07 PM
The fish we call google eye were a good bit darker than both of those and all 8 i put in were close to a pound. From what i read, i have caught bigger than what they say a sunfish is and i have caught about the same size as they said the warmouth. So now i'm a little confused.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 01:20 PM
Post a picture, if you can.

Now it seems that, if they were about a pound, they probably were warmouth cause the green sunfish, although they can get that large, generally do not and to catch 8 of them that large would be most unusual, IMHO.
Posted By: bz Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 05:58 PM
Meadowlark, I went to the web address you posted and this is the first time I've ever seen anyone say that a green sunfish and a rock bass are the same thing. See this web site: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish/sunfish/biology.html
Posted By: Eric Re: Google-eye - 06/03/05 06:07 PM
BZ I have to agree with you that is a first for me as well. From up my way Rock Bass are diff than the Green sunfish. I have heard of "True" Rock bass being called Google Eyes but not too often.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Google-eye - 06/05/05 10:41 PM
Bz,

Well, you just can't tell a fish by its local name...and about the only way we'll ever ID this one is if we get a picture.
Posted By: Allchca Re: Google-eye - 06/06/05 08:19 PM
My lake has WARMOUTH in it. Most of the time I catch them is when they're in the shallows on their beds, which is not very often. I know they're not green sunfish because they don't have any blue/green. For the most part they're black and orange. I have seen a rock bass come out of the lake too, tan with small black spots, and I almost think I've seen a few since rock bass are tan. One pound is pretty big for any of the three though ain't it? It seems like rock bass tend to get bigger. The warmouth I do catch are in the 6"-8" area. I've only seen one ROCK BASS for sure but I don't know very much about them besides what they look like. I've seen a green sunfish though. It looked like THIS .
© Pond Boss Forum