Pond Boss
Posted By: Redfishman Fish Woumds - 05/08/05 08:32 PM
I haave noticed a number of my LMB's and bluegill appear to have cuts on teir sides with white stuff around them. I assume something is wounding them and the white stuff is part of the healing process. What could it be.. snapping turtles , blue heron, muskrat .. all of the above have been seen around the pond. I live in Nr. Virginia
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Fish Woumds - 05/08/05 09:50 PM
Redfishman,

What do the "cuts" look like specifically? If they look like jab wounds you are looking at a Great Blue Heron that is jabbing your fish when they are in shallow water. Your fish can be expecially vunerable during spawning time.

I can tell you from experience Herons will jab a fish much to big to eat. I guess it's a natural reflex for them to jab anything that moves regardless of the size.

I have mostly eliminated this problem by running brightly colored catfish line in several strands about a foot over the waters edge where they wade in. I did have one last year that switched to fishing off of my pier, but he's not here anymore this year. I really don't know what happened to him! ;\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fish Woumds - 05/09/05 01:22 AM
Cecil, I have seen these wounds also (mostly on Golden Shiners) and believe them to be the work of a GBHeron. I watched him (we call him "Gollum" because he has big feet and eats raw fish) take out a 12" LMB last week - I was impressed and PO'd at the same time.

Sometimes the marks are parallel cuts, one on each side, sometimes a stab wound on top. I have been under the assumption that the white stuff was simple fish flesh with all the blood washed out, and that the fish still lethargically swimming around were waiting to die.

Anyone know what is the largest size fish a GBH can actually eat?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish Woumds - 05/09/05 01:30 AM
White stuff on wound could be fungus.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Fish Woumds - 05/09/05 01:13 PM
I have to keep up my reputation...

If the cuts are 4 inches or so running vertically and look like a slice with a razor, then you better start looking for cormorants, aka water turkeys. This distinctive cut is left on those few fish who escape the predations of the worst bird ever known to this Earth..the water turkey.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Fish Woumds - 05/09/05 09:08 PM
I knew Meadow had to chime in.
Herons and Turkeys and Bears. OH! NO!
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Fish Woumds - 05/09/05 09:11 PM
burgermeister,

I think someone took offense at my dislike for water turkeys...I've been de-starred :rolleyes:
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Fish Woumds - 05/12/05 10:43 PM
Meadow, I tried to upgrade you, but to no avail.
You always have very informative posts. Keep it up!
Posted By: casca Re: Fish Woumds - 05/13/05 08:27 PM
Cormorants are history when I see them , period. I will be the first to say that I am not politically correct and will go to the grave that way and those Hell birds need to die. Peace folks.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Fish Woumds - 05/13/05 11:41 PM
ML,
I dropped a few points myself as I gained another rating about the same time. Guess I tee'd him off too.

I was just able to rate you though. You're looking bright now! \:D
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Fish Woumds - 05/14/05 12:13 AM
That's why I opted not to be included in the political BS. Now shut up and fish!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fish Woumds - 05/14/05 12:15 AM
I caught this GShiner yesterday with an apparent Heron strike on just the one side. I guess the fish zigged when the bird zagged and avoided capture while sustaining this cut.

Many (30%?) of the LMB I catch have healed scars in very similar patterns - the same 60-70 degree angle. I have never seen a bass with a deep cut like this one - maybe their skin/scales are tougher (maybe I'm not catching the unlucky ones because they're dead).

Meadowlark: How does this compare with WT damage marks?
Posted By: harvey dupriest Re: Fish Woumds - 05/14/05 05:16 PM
I agree with Burgermeister !

Meadowlark , keep up the great posts .

Harvey
Posted By: george Re: Fish Woumds - 05/14/05 05:33 PM
ML is chasing tarpon down Mexico way at this time, but I'm sure he'll have some water turkey stories to share... \:D
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Fish Woumds - 05/19/05 03:02 PM
Man, have I got a water turkey story to share...and pictures to prove it if I can ever figure out the mystery of posting pictures.

Theo, the water turkey signature is similar, but is always just behind the fishes head after the gills running vertically much like you picture. Nasty cuts and ends up killing most of the fish eventually.

I found the ultimate water turkey rookery in Mexico. Let me just say that anyone that thinks water turkeys are/were endangered, needs to see this place. I'll post my story and pictures later. It was unbeliveable to go fly fishing for Tarpon and end up being asaulted by thousands of water turkeys...but the fishing was terrific anyhow.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Fish Woumds - 05/19/05 03:11 PM
Ticket to Mexico - $200

Fishing License - $75

Fishing Gear - $500

Meadowlark going on vacation and being assaulted by Water Turkeys - priceless! \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: DAN PATERSON Re: Fish Woumds - 05/20/05 04:32 AM
Theo,

In another post he's rambling something about "They're everywhere, they're everywhere".

Starting to sound a little paranoid if ya ask me.
Hope he's not seeing them in his sleep..........
© Pond Boss Forum