Pond Boss
Have had beaver, they moved out, muskrat, shot em', a river otter snooping around, haven't seen him lately, thank god! Now I got a brown mink burrowed in my dam. Worst problem is I have 5 dogs and they will immediately head for his burrow and are making the hole bigger. With spring rains coming this burrow will be underwater in 4 weeks-dooooooo not want this to happen. Really don't want to shoot him, don't think I can get him-he's smart. Will have to scope my SKS to get a decent shot (incidentally-an SKS "7.62X 39mm 122grain steel case" makes a really good snapping turtle eliminator. If you're a poor shot the concussion will eliminate what few brains he has. Just don't skip the shot into your neighbors back porch a half mile away) Anyhow other than trapping (cause of my dogs) can I eliminate Him other ways- Thanks - Postbeetle.
You can trap him, just don't use leghold traps. Try 110 or 120 conibear (bodyhold) traps. You could just stand the trap up in 2-3 inches of water with stakes through the spring holes. Bait would be fresh fish just stabbed on the trigger spikes. Probably need a nuisance permit from DNR to do this right now...or be VEWWWWY QWIET about it. I have also trapped them in blind sets with the same traps set on trails, camoflouged (sp?) with weeds. They bumble and stumble along and just kinda stick their head into the trap. Even a small dog shouldn't be damaged (other than pride) by these traps.
Posted By: johnb Re: wifes potential new fur coat-collar anyhow - 03/17/05 09:02 PM
Get your hose out and flood the hole. Be ready with a shotgun when he comes out. Never tried with a mink, but we do it all the time to quickly rid a field of ground hogs. We usually kill 10-12 ground hogs with one 1,000 gallon tank. You would be amazed at how much water a ground hos hole can take!
The mink is just using the muskrat den he doesn't dig holes himself.
Purchase smoke bombs & throw in. The mink will leave for quieter quarters if harrassed. It's probably a female looking for a place to raise young.

The mink will actually benefit you in that it will kill & eat muskrats & young beavers.

Mink do no damage to ponds. I wouldn't kill it.
Thanks Ric-thats the procedure I'll take. Dogs will prob harass her out. She has a lot of places to go on my place, and hopefully she will stay close. I actually like to see them around-as long as she stays out of my chicken house.
© Pond Boss Forum