Pond Boss
Posted By: jsand13 I think I might have messed up. - 08/13/08 01:45 AM
I am trying to build the forage base back up in my 5 acre pond and I was told after shocking it I would need to add about 250 4"-6" bluegill per acre to help speed it up in addition to taking out a large amount of small bass. Anyways I had purchased around added around 700 of the bluegill so far. I needed some more and had a friend with a pond that was bream only and there were way to many in it. He told me to get as many as I wanted. So this afternoon I went with the baitcast net and caught around 250-300 and took back to my pond. When dipping them out of the tank I relized there were 2 green sunfish in it, Pretty sure thats what they were. The rest were all normal bluegill. After I had already put the rest of the bluegill in there these two 4" green sunfish were still in the tank. Agaist my better judgement I went ahead and threw them into the pond thinking surely they wouldn't live long enough to do any damage. So after reading up on them I am a little worried.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: I think I might have messed up. - 08/13/08 02:21 AM
Not to worry. In the presence of LMB predation and BG fecunditous (is that a word) reproductive competition, a few GSF don't have the chance to become stunted, overpopulated dwarves. You might end up with a couple of trophy Greenies, though.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: I think I might have messed up. - 08/13/08 02:31 AM
Thats good to hear. I worry about the smallest little things. I just didn't know if they would over populate. I figured since my primary goal is to grow trophy bass they were just goung to end up food anyway. The pond we went to and caught them only has bream and nothing else so there were alot in it. We only made about 10 throws with the cast net and caught around 300 but there was only 2 green sunfish.
© Pond Boss Forum