Pond Boss
Posted By: sadworld should i have done this? new pond stock - 07/12/08 01:43 AM
1/8 acre pond (100x50)pond was dug in august of 06.... it filled and i stocked 30or so bg and a few perch and a dozen 12-15" lmb....after winter didn't see too much in there a few gill and a few bass i know are still in there but should i have stocked the bass right away? not seeing an explosion of gills like i hear you get in ponds.... maybe it just hasnt been long enough... i added a few hybrid gills this year too.... thanks. matt.
how big were the bg and perch, could the lmb eat them?
if so then you should have waited on the lmb or suplemented with some forage of fh or tilapia

being the pond is small in size it wont really support a large # of fish

the hybrid bg will grow fast 6 inches in 6 months
Posted By: sadworld Re: should i have done this? new pond stock - 07/12/08 05:59 PM
3 or 4 inches i would say.... bass wouldn't eat them would they? i see them mingling on occasion around food i throw in so they must feel safe (the bluegill)
lmb can consume a fish 1/3 -1/2 its size
If you think about it, the bass have to eat something to survive. I expect they ate everything you put in and then some of them starved out.

We generally expect a well balanced pond to support about 50 to 100 pounds of predators per acre and a bass converts food on a 1:10 basis. In other words, it takes 10 pounds of BG to gain one pound. Bass are eating machines and are better left out of anything less than one acre.
Were the original BG stocked hybrids?
Posted By: MbBass Re: should i have done this? new pond stock - 07/14/08 09:29 PM
Need to go on a bg catching spree and stock those fish for the LMB . They eat alot . Get some help from some friends . Can be fun if you do it that way or quality time if you do it by yourself. Good luck .
© Pond Boss Forum