Pond Boss
Posted By: Gambusia Fish Wagon - 03/25/08 08:49 PM
What is your opinion of Fish Wagon hatchery?

They will be in Asheville, NC on April 9th?

Thanks
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish Wagon - 03/26/08 01:25 AM
As a general rule, when dealing with those fish jobbers (making frequent stops) be very cautious. 1. If they are from far away of your location that means the fish were very likely on the truck for a long time. That means STRESS to fish. That is bad for fish health long and short term. 2. You have basically no recourse (help or problem solution) with a remote "travelling" fish hatchery. A reputable local hatchery will always work with you to make amends if the fish die shortly after stocking.
Posted By: Gambusia Re: Fish Wagon - 03/26/08 09:05 PM
Thanks

They are from Arkansas
Posted By: Bing Re: Fish Wagon - 03/26/08 09:14 PM
I have had good luck with Fish Wagon. I generally call them and determine when they will be at my local feed store. I also ask if they are stopping there on their way "out" from the hatchery or on the way home. If they are on the way home, and if I am in no particular hurry to stock, I will wait until they stop at my store earlier in their run. Last fall they were on the way home, which means the fish had been on the truck a while but I bought anyway. I had good survival, and have not observed any mortality. However the eight inch Channel Catfish I bought had several sores. I took them anyway and did not observe any dead ones. However it was late fall and I have not seen any of them. I don't think I will know whether they survived or not until I start to feed.
© Pond Boss Forum