Pond Boss
Posted By: Theo Gallus Root Ball Question - 08/07/07 09:43 PM
Who has experience placing root balls in a basin before the pond fills? I'm curious what % of the time the dirt on the roots is sufficient weight to keep them from floating until they waterlog.
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Root Ball Question - 08/07/07 11:23 PM
Hey Theo,
I put prob. 20 root balls in my 2.5ac pond. I never considered they might float.
Anyway they've stayed put for going on 2 yrs now.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Root Ball Question - 08/07/07 11:25 PM
i was just thinking you'll probably need to weight them down, but i have no real experience here. what kind of trees are/were they and will that make a difference (i.e. oak vs. poplar type woods).
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 12:37 AM
They're Ash. The trunks run roughly 12" - 14" in diameter where they were cut off just above ground; they have about 3' - 4' diameter of root area (with embedded dirt) remaining on them.

I wasn't planning on having them around, but they're being cut off the trunks upon removal and I thought, what the heck?
Posted By: MARKALLEN Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 04:22 AM

Theo, I put several root balls in a new pond finished in April. The ponds been full since May and no sign of them floating.
They sound about like yours, 3 to 4' in diameter with dirt stuck to the roots, they look look like they'll be great fish structure.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 11:42 AM
Theo if I'm a betting man and money on them not floating. The trunk, etc seems to me to be so dense even without the dirt weight they should not float. In all my years I have seen lots of trees float I thought may not but never the trunk. good luck.
Posted By: GW Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 12:15 PM
We will have hundreds of stumps from trees over 12 inches in diameter from the 6 acre area. Our pond builder suggested that we create a reef-like structure with them.
Posted By: GW Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 01:35 PM
One advantage to using stumps for shallow water structure is that in low water conditions you won't have to look at tires or pvc.
Posted By: ewest Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 01:37 PM
Theo they are easy to stake down with one nail , trotline string and a wood stake.

You know they don't call RES "stumpknockers" because they cruse the surface. Stumps with their roots are a great place for snails. They are also good for close wood cover to nests for SMB fry. \:\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 03:22 PM
Thanks, guys. It's definite - the root balls are IN!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Root Ball Question - 08/08/07 11:22 PM
Theo,
When I had my pond built we got a small rain and had to build a small berm to contain the runoff to finish the upper pond end. Anyhoo, I had the builder lay rootballs on top of the berm which is now referred to as the Budweiser Crown and all types of fish gather around the area. You'll be real happy with a reef feature!

This is the crown and the tallest stump will be 2-3' underwater at full pool. BTW if ANY rock is in the rootwad they will never float!

Posted By: GW Re: Root Ball Question - 08/09/07 11:47 AM
Theo I got more conformation about root balls not floating from some others who have done it. This came from a forum of Foresters and loggers. One said the root ball is several times denser than the trunk. Another guy used a lot of root balls in his pond six years ago and hasn't had any come up.
Posted By: bobad Re: Root Ball Question - 08/09/07 12:37 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
This came from a forum of Foresters and loggers. One said the root ball is several times denser than the trunk.
I was thinking along the same lines.

Since a pond usually fills slowly, by the time the water comes up high on the stumps, they will already be waterlogged. Any significant amount of dirt stuck to them is extra insurance.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Root Ball Question - 08/09/07 01:28 PM
GW use them as a reef but use them to create travel lanes. Start at the shoreline and built out to where water drops 4-8 feet range. In this dropoff area put several it will get more uasgae b/c fish like to have means travel from place to place.

Also we use the root balls to get them there then something more open say a porcupine attractor that does a better job of holding fish and of course is easier to fish around as well. good luck

BTW I will have seminars this weekend on growing big bass, feeding/fertilization of ponds. It is at the Macon Coliseum for the GON OUtdoor Blast if you're around. Frank this is in your back yard. Hope to see some familiar and new faces there, Friday-Sunday.
Posted By: GW Re: Root Ball Question - 08/09/07 10:27 PM
Thanks Greg. That's exactly what I'll do.
Posted By: Frank Re: Root Ball Question - 08/09/07 11:50 PM
Greg

I saw that you will be presenting at the GON Outdoor Blast this weekend. Unfortunately I have been in the hospital the last few weeks with gall bladder and complications from surgery. I don't think I will be able to make it but my brother and a few buddies are planning on attending. I am sorry that I missed your presentation - Good Luck

Frank
Posted By: Sunil Re: Root Ball Question - 08/09/07 11:54 PM
Frank, sorry to hear that. You have my thoughts.
Posted By: ewest Re: Root Ball Question - 08/10/07 01:22 AM
Frank get well soon !!!! I sure hope the prognoses is good. Keep us posted.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Root Ball Question - 08/10/07 02:18 AM
Take care of yourself, Frank.
Posted By: Frank Re: Root Ball Question - 08/10/07 04:11 PM
Thanks guys!

I am slowly re-gaining my strength and hope to be back to normal soon. I have missed the PondBoss web site and my pond. I have not been to my pond since early June but my brother is keeping things going there.

I appreciate your thoughts and well wishes!

Frank
Posted By: Brettski Re: Root Ball Question - 08/10/07 05:22 PM
Hey Frank...
Are you sure you want to post the results of gall bladder surgery under the topic Root Ball Question?
-
;\)
-
Keep the rain gauge emptied!
Get well soon, man.
© Pond Boss Forum