Pond Boss
Posted By: Andre Existing pond what to do - 05/18/07 10:49 PM
Hey I am new to the pond stuff. I just brought 10 acres with about a 2 acre pond. The land has been left along for about 15 years. Right now i am trying to clear a lot of the under growth and all of the tree sappling. The pond is about 8 feet deep at the lowest point, there is some fish and local wildlife that vist it. The question where do I start? I know later in a few years i want to make it deeper. I was told that it is feed by a under ground spring and that in the hottest months of TX ii has never run dry. It will shrink down to less to a half acre. I brought it Oct and the pond was about half acre, now with all the rain we had this year it so full that it about 2 1/2. So where do I start?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Existing pond what to do - 05/19/07 03:08 AM
Andre:

Observe, measure, and record.

What kind of fish does the pond have now? Sample by angling, trapping, netting, and/or observation. What types and sizes of fish are there?

What happens to the temperature and depth of the pond over the course of a year?

Do you KNOW that 8 foot is the max depth, or were you TOLD that? If the latter, that could be old info. Consider confirming by depth sounding.

Consider what kind of pond/fishery you want to have.

Check out the local area to find good pond excavators. Check their results, bona fides, and (dis)satisfied customers.

Buy Lusk's 3 pond books and read them and PB Mag. The more you learn before you renovate, the more successful and economically it can be done.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Existing pond what to do - 05/19/07 10:04 AM
Wise words and well said, Theo.

If you are trying to figure out where to go, first figure out where you are. Then define your goals.
© Pond Boss Forum