Pond Boss
Posted By: Theo Gallus Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 01:43 AM
Most of us have probably seen Bruce's upscale, high-rise "Bluegill Condominium":

For those on a budget, here is my 100% recycled (some pieces for the second or third time) attempt at a low rent equivalent. While it would undoubtedly be inadequate for the huge blueblood Bluegills in Nebraska, it should suffice for the humble bream in my pond (Baltic Avenue as opposed to Boardwalk). I think of it as a Trailer Park for Redneck Sunfish.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 01:50 AM
I really, really like that. Does it have a brain?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 01:51 AM
Theo, I like it. Like you, I have what my wife calls junk and I call surplus building materials. Where do I send the official Trailer Trash cap?
Posted By: ewest Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 01:56 AM
If you lay that down on its side it would be catfish trailer trash heaven. ;\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 02:24 AM
Bruce:

The brains are in the gallon jug, which doubles as a float. I figure that way I can make it smarter or dumber as needed. :rolleyes:

Eric:

It IS on it's side. :p

DD:

Brilliant! You also know how to turn nuisance garbage into something you can claim is neither. You have always been my favorite moderator!
___

My Son helped me put it together, then posted the picture at one of his forums with the caption "Proof positive my Father is clinically insane."
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 02:50 AM
A perfect example of why the regulation in public reservoirs, "only natural fish attactors allowed".

I'll take 10 just like that. \:\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 02:58 AM
No duct tape? The thing must suck then.

Just kidding.

Donald Trump, look out.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 10:24 AM
WARNING, WIL ROBINSON!
Posted By: bobad Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 12:54 PM
The bottom one looks like it would fit my rent budget.
Posted By: ewest Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 01:00 PM
Was Picaso insane ? \:\)
Posted By: heybud Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 01:11 PM
Is that Jimmy Hofa in that bottom one?
Posted By: Alligator Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 04:18 PM
Theo, I think it is brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

Does it qualify as Section 8?

Gator
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 07:13 PM
Amazing, simply amazing!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 08:02 PM
Hey Burgermeister...do ya think it trumps a '58 Studebaker for structure?
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 08:11 PM
That can only be labeled as Art!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/22/06 11:26 PM
I just deleted my last post. I think the funning had run it's course. I believe it will be functional. It looks 'fishy' to me. I was going to suggest a "Top Theo's Fish Structure" contest, but I honestly don't think I could compete. Very ingenious. \:\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/23/06 01:08 AM
Thanks, BM. We could have an old vehicle structure contest, and I'm sure your Studebaker would be right up there.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/23/06 01:56 AM
Here's another slightly different angle of Theo's structure...

Posted By: Sunil Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/23/06 02:46 AM
I knew you were an ALF fan. So sad......
Posted By: PondsForFun Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/23/06 07:38 AM
Theo wont have any more problems with cat-fish with the alf-lost in space discount bream trailer park.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/23/06 08:18 PM
Theo, ship it to the Atlanta Airport Authority. They'll buy anything
and proudly display it prominantly and call it art.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 05/23/06 09:32 PM
\:\) I doubt it's limited to just Atlanta. For many years, Port Columbus (Ohio) airport featured a statue called "Brushstrokes in Flight." It always looked to me like two paint brushes being assaulted by a gang of ambulatory bananas. :rolleyes:
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/18/06 11:29 PM
I finally got the redneck sunfish trailer park (now officially nicknamed "Robby" by my family, after the "Lost in Space" robot) deployed in the pond today, after delays from good and bad weather and health. The fact that it was a great day (90 degree air temp, 81 degree water temp) to accidentally go swimming clinched the timing.

We let our pool noodles do the hard work of stabilizing the awkward monstrosity, and it was all accomplished without taking a plunge. I may move it to slightly shallower water closer to shore when we go swimming later this year; have to see how it attracts fish in the current position.

Posted By: ewest Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 02:32 AM
Theo did you sink it by pulling the noodles out or did it sink with them in it ? If it pulled down that many noodles it must be heavy.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 03:52 AM
That thing is creative, fun, useful, practical and disturbing all at the same time.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 04:11 AM
The noodles just make it look, I don't know,...too commercial. I say the fish will load up around it, especially as your weather gets hotter. Maybe its already hot?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 12:55 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Theo did you sink it by pulling the noodles out or did it sink with them in it ? If it pulled down that many noodles it must be heavy.
I pulled the noodles out and added a dozen or so fist sized rocks (to the upper white plastic tub) to sink it. There were already about 25 pounds of scrap iron and steel in the big bottom tub when it went in the water, but I'm tired of plastic structure floating up after placement, so I added the rocks to be sure.

I have a marker buoy (gallon jug) tied to the top so I can locate it easy while fishing from shore. The rope for the buoy was handy to tow it into place.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 12:56 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Condello:
That thing is creative, fun, useful, practical and disturbing all at the same time.
You talkin' about me or Robby? :p
Posted By: Sunil Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 05:32 PM
The real question is: Can you swim?

Or is the life preserver just for visual effect and leading by example?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 06:38 PM
I can swim. I always canoe with a life preserver to 1) set an example for my kids and 2) provide insurance in case something weird happens or I do something stupid. I once gave myself a concussion while driving fence posts by hand, so the option 2 insurance is a good idea for me in many activities.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 09:17 PM
Ah yes, "insurance in case something weird happens.."

The first year we owned our pond, my friend and I were out on the canoe at around 1AM. It was about 45 degrees outside, and the water temps were maybe low 50's. At this time of night, we were not fishing, but instead just drinking, etc.

My friend is about 225 lbs. compared to my 155 lbs. He's in the front of the canoe.

Next thing I know, the canoe starts hard rocking from side to side, and then in the drink we go. That cold water is pretty exhilirating when you dont' expect it.

I did have a moment of fear as the many layers of clothing I was wearing got soaked through. We were in about 15' of water, and I was shocked for a moment, before I swam for shore.

In the end, CSI determined that it was not our fault at all, but instead that Navy Seal Team 6 was on night manuevers, and sabotaged our ship. My friend swears that when he was underwater, he came face to face with a frog-man, and had to grapple & fight for his life.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 09:46 PM
I think that goes in the Pond Boss funnies thread. \:\) \:\) \:\)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/19/06 10:14 PM
You know the "100 degrees of canoeing" rule? If the air temp plus the water temp isn't at least 100 degrees F, don't go out in a canoe.

All but the most macho of canoeists follow this.

I use the "150 degrees" rule.
Posted By: ewest Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/20/06 01:11 AM
Is that the 180 degree rule? If the water temp. + the air temp. are not 100 then do a 180 degree turn and head for the house and sit in front of the fire. \:D :p
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/20/06 01:56 AM
That's good, EW. \:D \:D
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/20/06 01:28 PM
Theo...I just have to ask...a concussion? Driving post by HAND? Please elaborate...I'm trying to picture the "hows and whys". Was your wife laughing "with" you, as mine always does?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/20/06 03:17 PM
Matt:

Never do dangerous activities when you are PO'd...

I was using a post driver. In case you don't know, that's basically about 3 feet of 3"-4" steel pipe with a plug welded to the top and two handles welded to the sides. You put it over the T-Post, raise it up part way, slam it down, and repeat. It's a human-powered pile driver.

I was ticked off about something and lifted the post driver too high, off the top of the T-Post. When I brought it down, it bounced off first the post and then my skull. For a little while, the tree right in front of where I had been working was purple and orange instead of brown and green. Then everything was back to norbal.

When I could stand up again, I walked back to my In-Law's construction trailer (this was about 20 years ago, on their place before they built a house and lived there) and told my wife I was through working for the day and I was really tired. She wouldn't let me sleep! (And she wasn't laughing at all.) But it was my second concussion so I was wasn't worried, just sore, tired, and confused.

You ever see an egg that cracked inside the chicken and grew a second layer of shell over the crack to repair it? I have a spot like that on my skull. And I drive T-Posts with a sledge hammer, which has been judged by my wife to be safe for me to use.
Posted By: bobad Re: Discount Bream Housing - 06/20/06 04:18 PM
I know that feeling Theo. I had 2 concussions too. I was washing my tractor with a pressure washer. I had raised up my front loader to get at the front of the tractor better. I remember pulling the hose and walking around the front of the tractor, and the next thing remember was looking up at the sky. That loader bucket didn't even budge. Another time I got dinged playing football, and ended up in the girl's restroom. I had to get help finding my locker. It was almost funny.
© Pond Boss Forum